Columbiana names new athletic director
COLUMBIANA – A new athletic director will replace Bob Spaite this June for the city school district.
Spaite stepped down from the position in January, citing the position’s heavy workload as a reason. He is still coaching football for the Clippers, but his assistant, Erin Heasley, will be taking over the AD position.
The move was approved by the school board Tuesday.
Heasley has spent the last five years working as Spaite’s assistant for the AD position. She has been employed with the district since 1997 when she was first brought on as varsity volleyball coach.
She has continued coaching in the district over the years, serving as assistant varsity softball coach and junior high volleyball and basketball coach.
The district brought her on as a teacher in 2003, and she currently teaches seventh and eighth grade social studies.
She said she went for the AD position because she has a “love for athletics.”
“I’m excited to be able to work with all of the coaches and athletes. Bob and I worked together very well. Hopefully it’s a smooth transition,” she said.
Superintendent Don Mook said the job was posted internally after Spaite’s retirement announcement and that it was clear Heasley was the right candidate.
“She is more than qualified … She is very organized and detailed. Her athletic background is extensive,” he said.
Heasley said she is currently pursuing a master’s degree in athletic administration through Ohio University’s online program.
She was awarded a one-year supplemental contract and will earn $5,954 a year, although Treasurer Lori Posey noted that figure could change following negotiations this spring.
In other business, the board approved:
– The retirement resignation of Holly Downing, middle school aide and part-time custodian, and the retirement resignation of Nadine Martin, high school art teacher, both effective June 1.
– David Gigee as assistant softball coach.
– Peggy Mills as part-time custodian, 186 days a year, retroactive to Jan. 18, for the 2012-13 school year.
– Debra Ulam as part-time high school secretary, 186 days a year for the 2012-12 school year.
– Elizabeth Coffey as tutor for the 2012-13 school year at a rate of $24.25 per hour, retroactive to Jan. 28.
– A change in salary for teacher Amy McCormick.
– Five people as substitute teachers and six people as volunteers.
– Payment in lieu of transportation for two students.
– A first reading of policies relating to the use of medications, payment of accrued, unused vacation leave and school calendar.