Smoke report clears United

HANOVERTON- Students were evacuated from the United Local campus Tuesday morning while firefighters searched for the cause of smoke in the high school offices.

Firefighters from Hanover Township and Winona responded to the school at 9:30 a.m. where school officials reported a hazy smoke in the office area. No fire was discovered. The cause of the smoke was determined to be a faulty exhaust switch in the conference room wall, according to Winona Fire Chief George Brantingham.

High school Principal Bill Young said students were evacuated and remained outside for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. He said school officials could not locate the origin at first, but firefighters were able to find the cause, shut off the breaker and remove the switch, at which time the students returned to class for the day.