Marine assaulted outside Columbiana Chase Bank

COLUMBIANA – A man out on bond for theft of city property is on the run from police after allegedly assaulting a U.S. Marine outside Chase Bank on Wednesday.

Officer Rick Whitfield said Michael M. Nagel Jr., 29, of Brenda Lane, attacked Tim Felt before jumping into a red Sedan last seen heading west from the bank on North Main Street.

A bank employee called the police department shortly after 3 p.m. after hearing a “thud” against the main door of the building and seeing a man run away, Whitfield said.

Bank employees did not see the attack, but a street department employee who happened to be nearby did and told police what happened.

“Luckily, one of the city employees saw the whole thing,” he said.

According to their account, Nagel reportedly threw Felt against the wall of the building causing him to lose his balance and fall down, at which point Nagel kicked him in the head.

Nagel then jumped into the sedan waiting nearby and fled, but not before the city employee was able to obtain the Ohio license plate number, which he provided to police.

Whitfield said the identity of the driver and Nagel’s motive remain unknown is at this point.

Felt reportedly told police he had just gotten out of the Marines and hadn’t talked to Nagel in years.

Felt declined to be taken to a hospital by Columbiana EMS, despite a possible broken wrist, Whitfield said.

He also said Felt is a Columbiana resident with no criminal history that could link him to Nagel, who has an extensive criminal history, including a felony theft charge from October when he was caught stealing heavy duty cable from the city’s electric substation. He was also charged with misdemeanor counts of theft and resisting arrest from that incident.

Nagel spent some time in the county jail on those charges and was out on a $50,000 own recognizance bond. An arraignment for that case was scheduled for today in county Common Pleas Court before Judge C. Ashley Pike on the theft charge.

Columbiana police issued a warrant for his arrest through county Municipal Court following Wednesday’s incident.