Resident suffer minor injury in Newgarden Avenue house fire

SALEM – A resident refused treatment for a minor injury after fire damaged the home where they were living at 339 Newgarden Avenue early Saturday morning.

Tracy and George Dilling were the tenants of the home owned by Roy Larkins and exited the burning structure before Salem firefighters arrived after being summoned at 4:57 a.m.

The rest of the department was called to respond after the on-duty squad saw flames showing at the front of the residence when they arrived. A smoke detector activated, but according to firefighters, the residents had already woken up from the heat.

The fire was contained to two rooms and controlled by 6:10 a.m., with a bedroom the area of origin and a bed the point of origin although there were no power sources or heating equipment nearby.

The fire report said that a resident advised firefighters there was an ashtray close to the bed and there had been issues in the past with careless smoking. The home was not insured. Damages were estimated at $10,000 for the structure and $1,000 for contents.

The natural gas was shut off at the meter and Ohio Edison was called to disconnect power to the residence.

The American Red Cross was notified on behalf of the tenants and planned to make contact with them. Salem Police had also responded and helped out with traffic control.