Negley home fire investigated

NEGLEY – A fire at a home on state Route 170 is being investigated by a state fire marshal.

Negley Fire Chief Gary Banicki said Brenda Moore reported the fire from her neighbor’s home at 1:50 a.m. Thursday.

Brenda Moore ran to the neighbor’s home to use their phone after a fire ignited in the living room of the home she shares with her husband Jeff at 11444 state Route 170.

Banicki said it appears the fire started near the fireplace and when asked if it appeared to have been set intentionally his only comment was the matter is under investigation.

When asked why the state was called in, he replied it was because of “underlying circumstances,” which he did not specify.

He did say Mrs. Moore was taken by Negley EMS to Salem Hospital with minor injuries. He declined to comment on the nature of those injuries and whether they were fire related.

The couple live in the double-wide home owned by Jeff Moore’s father Fred, and Banicki said he believes it is insured, although that was not certain as of Thursday evening.

Banicki requested mutual aid from the Calcutta Volunteer Fire Department shortly after 2 a.m. when no other firefighters were available from his station. He and two members of his crew were the first to arrive, and were then joined by three Calcutta firefighters.

Three more Negley firefighters later responded and that crew returned to their station before 4:30 a.m., Banicki said.

The Negley department has never before been called to the home, he added.

Earlier that day, county sheriff’s deputies went to the home shortly before 5 p.m. after receiving an anonymous call that a possible domestic was occurring there and found the couple arguing.

According to that report Mr. Moore had locked his wife out of the house and she was found to have a cut on her hand, which she said she received while trying to get back inside. Mr. Moore agreed to leave for the remainder of the evening.

Mrs. Moore’s brother Craig Horn told deputies that around 10:30 p.m. that evening she had asked him to come take some items from the home and those were placed in his basement on Vale Road, according to the report.

Deputies were also at the scene of the fire on Thursday.