Historical Women’s Rights Convention markers highlighted

9-25 QUAKER

Wilbur Friends Quakers (Ohio Conservative Friends) met Sunday at the Wilbur Friends Meeting House in the 300 block of E. 6th St. Sunday morning. The group discussed the four newly-installed historical first Women’s Rights Convention held in Ohio markers. The new markers at the entrances to the city on North and South Lincoln and East and West State roadways continue to designate the city’s place of honor in the fight for women’s rights beginning on April 19-20, 1850. It was the first women’s rights convention held in Ohio at the Hicksite Meeting House that was located on the southeast corner of E. 2nd St. The Quakers pictured here with a 1931 Model A Ford in front the Wilbur Friends Meeting House are, from left, Nancy Hawkins, Kim Newlin, Lola Toot, Eunice Burkey, Sadie Tritico, 6, and her brother, Silas, 8, Lori Kumler, Millie Henderson and Carey Newlin. Not pictured is Margaret Starbuck. It wasn’t until Aug. 18, 1920 that events like the Salem Women’s Convention — the third in the country — led to ratification of 19th Amendment to the Constitution, giving women the right to vote. (Salem News photo by Larry Shields)

COMMENTS