SALEM FIRE CALLS
– A resident in the 400 block of West Sixth Street called at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday to request firefighters come out to his residence and check his smoke detector. The smoke detector had been going off, but there was no fire and he removed the battery. The crew found nothing wrong, but noted there was an excessive amount of drywall dust in the smoke detector and it may need replaced. The resident had batteries on hand, so firefighters replaced all the batteries for two smoke detectors and one carbon monoxide detector.
– Firefighters were called at 4:03 a.m. Tuesday to the 500 block of Franklin Avenue for a possible carbon monoxide problem. The resident said she’s been getting headaches and suggested carbon monoxide was coming from the furnace. The furnace was running and no carbon monoxide was detected with a gas meter.
– Firefighters responded to Salem Community Hospital on East State Street after receiving a fire alarm at 5:29 a.m. Monday. A strong odor of burnt rubber was detected in the area of the alarm and found to be a burnt belt in a heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit on the roof.