– A trooper was dispatched to East Liverpool City Hospital April 15 for a man being treated following a motorcycle crash.
He spoke with Joseph Amos, 51, Toronto, who said he had lost control of the motorcycle on state Route 45 near Cameron Road and called a friend, whom he refused to identify, to help him load the motorcycle onto a trailer.
It was taken to a shop, but he also refused to identify the make or model or tell the trooper where the bike had been taken, saying he didn’t want anyone to know where it was, according to reports.
Amos failed to report the accident to law enforcement and he reportedly told the trooper it was due to not wanting his insurance to increase. The trooper ascertained Amos was driving under suspension after he left the hospital and reported Amos has not returned phone calls.
He was charged with failure to control, and the case remains under investigation until the trooper contacts the county prosecutor regarding possible criminal charges.
Due to the motorcycle having been moved, the trooper was unable to determine the scene of the crash.
– While southbound on Padgett Road, Daniel P. Brown, 35, Crestview Road, New Waterford, reportedly went off the right side, causing his vehicle to strike a culvert and utility pole.
He reportedly continued driving about 1.5 miles to Hamilton Road, where he abandoned the vehicle and went home.
He was contacted at his home after the crash, and the trooper said he smelled of alcohol, with Brown saying he had had one beer prior to the crash and 1 1/2 afterward. The report indicated alcohol use was suspected in the crash but could not be confirmed.
He was charged with failure to control, no seat belt and leaving the scene of an accident.
– While northbound on state Route 7, Daryl E. Caldwell, 63, Dyke Road, Rogers, turned left in front of a southbound vehicle driven by Kyle D. Burdick, 23, Juniper Drive, Columbiana, and was struck. Caldwell was charged with the improper turn.
– A witness reported seeing a low-boy trailer being pulled by a semi truck cross the railroad tracks in the village of Salineville at 1 p.m. Wednesday, damaging the tracks. The truck left without the driver being identified.
The village street department put rubber strips back into place prior to Norfolk-Southern Railroad inspection and repair crews arrived on the scene about 4 p.m., with all train traffic suspended until after the tracks were properly inspected.
– While northbound on Rochester Road, Hallie J. Whitman, 43, Summers Road, East Rochester, reportedly lost control of her vehicle on wet pavement. The vehicle went off the right side, striking a ditch. She was charged with failure to control.
-Brittany Nicole Adkins, 16, Montrose Street, East Liverpool, was charged with failure to control after her vehicle spun 180 degrees while eastbound on Cameron Road. The vehicle went off the road, striking a tree.
– A vehicle driven by Debra J. Marshall, 56, Pine Lake Road, Beloit, was stopped northbound on state Route 45 as she waited to go around a stopped utility vehicle. Another northbound vehicle driven by Kenneth J. Hall, 19, Elmwood Drive, Lisbon, struck Marshall’s vehicle in the rear. Hall was cited for failure to control.
– Howard A. Hill, 43, Kurtz Road, Minerva, was westbound on Kurtz Road at 9:22 p.m. April 14, when he struck mirrors with an eastbound vehicle driven by Martin M. Merrick, 16, Sandy Springs Road, Minerva. Fault could not be determined on the narrow portion of roadway.
– Mandy M. Spahr, 35, Lowellville, was northbound on Bethesda Road in Franklin Township at 12:14 a.m. Tuesday when she went off the right side of the road, struck a barbed wire fence and a post. She then drove through a cow pasture, over a clump of trees and back onto the roadway before leaving the scene. She was cited with OVI, failure to control and obstructing official business.
– Richard A. Black, 39, State Line Road, Negley, was northbound on Bye Road in Middleton Township at 5:03 a.m. April 3 when he reportedly drove off the left side of the road and struck a ditch before coming to a final rest in the ditch. Black was cited with failure to control. He had left the vehicle and failed to return telephone messages from the investigating trooper.
– Matthew L. Faulkner, 21, state Route 14, East Palestine, was westbound on state Route 517 in Fairfield Township at 4:04 p.m. Friday when he lost control, went off the right side of the road and struck a mailbox, ditch and embankment before rolling over. Faulkner was taken by KLG to Salem Community Hospital with minor injuries. He was cited with failure to control.
– Frank K. Forkel, 60, Jefferson Street, Salem, was eastbound on U.S. Route 62 in Butler Township at 5:50 p.m. Tuesday when he stopped because a vehicle in front of him was turning into a driveway. Ronnie G. Blackburn, 52, Garfield Avenue, Salem, who was following Forkel eastbound struck him from behind. Blackburn was cited with assured clear distance.
– Alvin C. Madison, 62, Pleasant Ridge Street, Minerva, was eastbound on Winona Road in Butler Township at 10:20 a.m. April 15 when he struck mirrors with a westbound vehicle driven by John F. Rowland, 24, Farmdale. Madison was driving a truck owned by Frontier Communications of Minerva, while Rowland was driving a van owned by North Park Services of Warren. It was determined the width of the roadway was not wide enough for the width of both commercial vehicles.
– Timothy F. Boafor, 32, Youngstown, was westbound on U.S. Route 30 in Center Township at 6 a.m. April 14 when he went off the right side of the roadway into a ditch before striking an embankment and a tree. The car overturned and Boafor was taken to Salem Community Hospital by EMT with minor injuries. He was cited with failure to control.
– Jerod S. Pirl, 21, Lyman Drive, East Liverpool, was northbound on state Route 7 in Madison Township at 2:55 p.m. Tuesday when he lost control, went off the left side of the roadway and struck a guardrail. Pirl went to East Liverpool City Hospital with minor injuries. He was cited with reasonable control.
– Megan A. Detchon, 23, Waddell Street, Leetonia, was eastbound on state Route 344 in Salem Township at 4:06 p.m. April 14 when she collided with a southbound vehicle driven by Benjamin R. Ballard, 32, Walter Avenue, Washingtonville, who reportedly failed to stop at a stop sign on Lisbon Road. Ballard’s vehicle then went off the east side of the road and struck the stop sign. Detchon and her passengers, Rita J. Dattilio, 81, Chestnut Street, Leetonia; Rebecca S. Detchon, 52, Waddell Street, Leetonia; John F. Detchon, 60, Waddell Street, Leetonia, and Andrew J. Detchon, Waddell Street, Leetonia; were all taken to Salem Community Hospital. All but Andrew Detchon were listed as having serious injuries, while his were listed as minor. KLG, Leetonia EMS and Columbiana EMS all provided transports. Ballard, who was uninjured, was cited with failure to yield at the intersection.
– Paul D. Herron, 33, Coffee School Road, Salem, was southbound on Woodsdale Road in Butler Township at 5:56 p.m. Wednesday when he was struck by a truck driven westbound on Coffee School Road by Ryan J. Adams, 25, Coffee School Road, who reportedly failed to yield at the stop sign. Adams continued off the southwest side of the intersection, striking a stop sign and a communication box. Herron went to Salem Community Hospital with minor injuries. Neither Adams, nor his passenger, Colby Adams, 27, Coffee School Road, Salem, were injured. Adams was cited with failure to yield.
– Zachary J. Frenger, 16, Crestview Road, Leetonia, was cited with reasonable control and a seat belt violation following a crash at 7:45 a.m. March 14 in Fairfield Township. Frenger was reportedly northbound on Fairfield School Road when he went off the right side of the road, struck a pole and overturned. He was taken by Columbiana EMS to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital with minor injuries.
– Kailee D. Piverotto, 17, Bacon Avenue, East Palestine, and Harley M. Hostetter, 17, Pancake Clarkson Road, Rogers, were both reportedly stopped eastbound on Crestview Road in Fairfield Township on Thursday when another eastbound vehicle driven by Clint R. Linhart, 17, Woodville Road, Leetonia, reportedly struck the back of Hostetter’s vehicle and pushed it into the back of Piverotto’s. No injuries were reported. Linhart was cited with assured clear distance.
– Sal Lucente, 41, Lowellville, was southbound on state Route 164 in Salem Township at 4:24 p.m. Thursday and struck a vehicle driven by Walter J. Reynolds, 56, Grafton Road, Leetonia. Reynolds had been driving westbound on Lodge Road and reportedly failed to yield at the stop sign. No injuries were reported. Reynolds was cited with failure to yield.
– Marsha A. Hardgrove, 38, Winona Road, Salem, was driving southeast on Yates Road in Salem Township at 10:30 a.m. Friday when a tree fell onto her car. She was uninjured.
– Danielle L. Heckathorn, 26, Glasgow Road, Lisbon, was westbound on Clarkson Road in Middleton Township at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday when she lost control, went off the left side of the roadway and struck a vehicle owned by Corleen S. Sayers, Clarkson Road, Rogers. Sayers’ vehicle was parked in a driveway. Heckathorn was taken to St. Elizabeth’s Boardman Hospital by Negley EMS. She was cited with failure to control.
– Daniel L. Wheeletz, 50, Wyalusing, Pa., was turning from U.S. Route 30 in West Township at 12:50 a.m. Wednesday onto Lynchburg Road when he failed to negotiate the turn. The truck, owned by Grady Rentals, Carrollton, went off the left side of the road and struck a ditch. He then abandoned the vehicle. Wheeletz was cited with failure to control, hit skip and OVI.
– Joseph R. Amos, 51, Toronto, was northbound on a motorcycle on state Route 45 in Madison Township at 3 p.m. April 15 when he lost control after striking gravel. He went to East Liverpool Hospital to be checked for possible injuries. Amos was cited with failure to control.
– Joseph R. Fletcher Jr., 54, Louisville, was westbound on state Route 154 in Madison Township at 12:10 p.m. Tuesday when the truck he was driving owned by Mid East Truck Tractor Service, East Canton, struck wires and damaged two utility poles. Fletcher was cited with maximum height violation.
– Kay L. Cope, 71, Boardman Street, New Waterford, was northbound on state Route 7 in Rogers at 11:30 a.m. Friday and stopped in traffic. She was struck from behind by a vehicle driven by Robert C. Roush, 28, West Street, Columbiana, who was cited with assured clear distance. Cope’s passenger, Keith A. Cope, 74, Boardman Street, New Waterford, went to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital with minor injuries.
– William E. Wafler, 69, Georgetown Road, Salem, and Brittany N. Risser, 23, Maysville, were northbound on Georgetown Road in Butler Township at 5:40 p.m. Friday and Wafler stopped to turn left into a private drive and was struck from behind by Risser. Risser was cited for assured clear distance.
– Paul V. Davis, 64, Glasgow Road, Salineville, was eastbound on state Route 518 in Wayne Township at 6:30 a.m. Thursday and hit a deer.
– While eastbound on Buck Road Friday, Kirby N. Wilt, 19, South 15th Street, Sebring, reportedly crossed the center line, went off the road, striking a ditch and embankment before rolling over. He was flown by Stat MedEvac helicopter to St. Elizabeth Medical Center and will be charged once released from the hospital, according to reports. His passenger, Andrew D. Weingart, 15, West Michigan Avenue, Sebring, was transported by Sebring Fire EMS to Mercy Hospital.
– A vehicle driven by Debra J. Blazer, 57, First Street, Hanoverton, was reportedly struck from the rear by a vehicle driven by Rodney H. VanFossen, 48. Union Avenue S.E., Minerva, while Blazer was stopped southbound on state Route 9. VanFossen left the scene without exchanging information with Blazer but was located and charged with OVI, assured clear distance and hit-skip.
– Bryant W. Nestor, 23, Glasgow Road, Salineville, was charged Wednesday with failure to control and OVI after his southbound vehicle reportedly went off state Route 9, striking an embankment and tree. He was transported by family to St. Elizabeth Medical Center.
– While stopped eastbound on state Route 165 Friday, a vehicle driven by Willard H. Leake III, 18, state Route 14, New Waterford, was rear-ended by a vehicle driven by Ronald K. Miller, 7, Metz Road, New Waterford. Miller was transported to Salem Community Hospital by East Palestine Fire EMS and was cited for assured clear distance.