– Firefighters were called at 11:53 p.m. Tuesday to the 2500 block of Lexington Avenue for an explosion and possible transformer fire. They found a ground transformer box on fire and extinguished it with a dry chemical extinguisher. The fire department remained on the scene until Ohio Edison responded.

– Firefighters were called at 1:24 a.m. Wednesday for a fire alarm at Salem Community Hospital in the utility bridge closet area and found a faulty detector. Security notified maintenance to respond and replace the detector.


– Firefighters responded to a call at 10:48 a.m. Sunday for a carbon monoxide detector going off in a residence on Jennings Avenue. None of the occupants had any symptoms of CO poisoning.

The home was checked with a multi-gas monitor and it was determined the CO detector was faulty.

– Police officers requested the fire department at Quaker City Castings at 10:18 a.m. Sunday on Euclid Street after a security officer reported the mulch in front of the main office building appeared to be smoldering.

Firefighters noted a 5 foot by 4 foot area smoldering and placed water on the mulch.

A pitch fork was used in an attempt to find burning materials.

– Firefighters were called at 6:34 p.m. Saturday to an illegal cookout in the 800 block of East Third Street. Police had been called for an open burning complaint and found the resident burning wood debris in a side yard, with the fire larger than legally allowed.

The fire department had the resident extinguish the fire.