– Firefighters were called at 2:24 p.m. Tuesday to the 400 block of West Eighth Street for a water or steam leak. The hot water tank was leaking water and the resident wasn’t sure if the pilot light was out or not. The water and gas were shut off to the hot water tank. The structure was monitored for natural gas, with nothing found.

– The owner of a business in the 200 block of Elm Avenue called at 6:40 a.m. Tuesday to report an odor of natural gas. Firefighters checked the area with a meter, but were unable to find any leak.

– Firefighters were called back to the Century House at 1:26 a.m. Tuesday for a malfunctioning sprinkler system. There was a similar call Sunday night.


– Firefighters were called at 1:03 a.m. Monday to Salem Community Hospital by employees for an odor of smoke. The problem was found in the second floor administration hallway area where a faulty light ballast was smoking. Maintenance responded to unlock the electrical box and the breaker to the light was shut down.

– Firefighters responded to the Century House, 1171 E. State St., after receiving a call for an alarm. The dry sprinkler system tripped wet due to a faulty air compressor. The system was shut down and drained due to large amounts of water leaking from a drain onto the basement floor. The entire building was checked, with no other problem found. An employee was told to contact the sprinkler company to repair the sprinkler system.