– Firefighters responded to the Salem Community Hospital at 3 p.m. Thursday for a report of smoke in the back room of a third floor lab. The firefighters found an odor of electrical smoke and determined the cause to be an electric motor at the top of the elevator shaft the opens the door. The power unit had already been shut off and maintenance personnel was on scene. Firefighters used thermal imaging to determine there was not further problems.


– The fire alarm went off at McKinley Elementary School at 1:20 p.m. Wednesday, but the alarm was canceled after it was learned it was caused by a system malfunction.



– Firefighters responded to the area of Franklin Street and South Lundy Avenue at 1:47 p.m. Friday where a patrolling police officer reported a natural gas odor and stoodby until Columbia Gas arrived.