SALEM FIRE CALLS
– Firefighters responded at 2:48 p.m. Thursday to Essex II, 250 Continental Drive, for a water flow alarm for the sprinkler system. A leaking sprinkler valve was found and the system was shut down and drained. Employees were told to contact the sprinkler company for repairs and to place someone on fire watch until the system is put back in service.
– Firefighters were called at 1:43 p.m. Thursday to 1271 Cedar Ridge Drive for a report of standing water in the first floor of a residence, the result of a ruptured water line. The water department was on scene and shut off service at the street. There wasn’t enough water on the floor for the water pumps to work. Firefighters shut off the breakers to the affected areas at the fuse panel. The tenant was advised to contact the fire station if assistance from the American Red Cross or Salvation Army was needed.
– An employee at the Timberlanes building, 544 E. Pershing St., came to the fire station at 11:04 p.m. Wednesday to report a water break. The employee met firefighters at the location and led them to the kitchen area where the sprinkler system had broken at the inspector test area. The system was shut down and the water was going down the floor drains. The electrical system was very wet and the breakers were all shut off. The employee had attempted contact with the owner and was going to monitor the building and make required repairs.
SALEM FIRE CALLS
– Firefighters on a medical call in the 1000 block of Highland Avenue noticed an odor of natural gas outside. Columbia Gas was notified and responded to the location, securing the scene.
– Firefighters were called at 7:14 p.m. Sunday to a residence in the 600 block of West Wilson Street for an odor of natural gas outside. A strong odor was detected around the curb lawn and Columbia Gas was notified to respond. Columbia Gas confirmed a leak in the road.