– Firefighters and police were called to the 2200 block of Southeast Boulevard at 6:55 p.m. Wednesday for light smoke throughout a home. A plug end on a window air conditioner overheated and caught fire, causing the breaker on the main panel to trip. The homeowner reset it and as the home filled with smoke, the homeowner shut the breaker off. Firefighters shut off the main breaker and removed the window unit and ventilated the smoke from the home. Ohio Edison was notified and the homeowner contacted an electrician to make repairs.
– Firefighters were called by a citizen at 12:40 p.m. Wednesday regarding a tree branch coming down and resting on wires on Egypt Road. The branch was found resting on phone wires, with no immediate hazard. AT&T was notified.
– Firefighters were called at 7:56 a.m. Wednesday for a utility pole broken at the base in the 900 block of East Third Street. An investigation found the pole was split at the base and leaning, with phone and cable lines attached. ATT was notified to make repairs.
– Firefighters were called to Highland Avenue at 6:56 a.m. Wednesday for wires down. A tree limb had knocked down power lines and they were in a yard, according to police. The fire department remained on the scene until Ohio Edison arrived.
– City firefighters were called to a business in the 900 block of West State Street at 10:14 p.m. Tuesday for a report of smoke, but discovered it was steam coming from a dryer.
– Firefighters were called at 8:34 p.m. Monday to Essex of Salem III, 230 Continental Drive, where there was a fire alarm activation. They found a pipe had burst on the dry sprinkler system. The maintenance person arrived and shut down the system until repairs can be made.