— John Black, Hawkins Road, New Waterford, reported at 12:39 a.m. Sunday there was a mysterious shooting in the area. Jean Hanshaw told deputies she was sitting in her rocking chair about 12:30 a.m. when she heard glass break and saw a large hole in the window above her. Glass flew all over her. Deputies checked the window and found three small holes in the screen. Hanshaw was not hurt. She said she heard a noise outside and heard a vehicle go by about three times but did not see anyone.

— Katie Mistovich, Metz Road, New Waterford, reported at 7:54 a.m. Saturday her live-in boyfriend, John Buck, got drunk and pushed her around. Then he fell and injured his head and face, but was refusing to go to the hospital. She refused to pursue criminal charges. Buck was very intoxicated and hesitant about going to the hospital, but after a few warnings from deputies he agreed to go.

— A clerk at Gorby’s Grocery flagged down a deputy, Lt. Allan D. Young, because at 7:48 a.m. Sunday there was a man there asking to use the phone due to being left in Negley by his friends at about 3 a.m. Lucas Keck said his friends, who he would not identify, left him and went elsewhere. He found he had no cell service in Negley. Deputies called Keck’s father to have him picked up.

— Tawnya Robinson, Twin Oaks, Lisbon, reported at 3:25 p.m. Sunday there was a domestic dispute between her and Glenn Orr, during which she was assaulted, but did not wish to pursue charges.

— Animals were reported being neglected at a property on state Route 14 in Unity Township at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Deputies saw two horses which appeared to be standing in water, eating from a round bale of hay, which appeared to be dry. Royal McKenzie, the owner of the horses, said she just paid a contractor $2,000 to fix the drainage issue and there appeared to be fresh river rock in the area where the system was installed. There was also a box culvert with a sump pump and a 10- to 12-inch drainage pipe, where water was trickling out. Deputies suggested she dig drainage ditches to the box culvert, but McKenzie said she was afraid of messing up what the contractor did in November and the beginning of December. When she dug three trenches the water dropped several inches in a matter of three minutes. The contractor was called by deputies and said he would be out in the morning to try to remedy to the problem. The horses appeared in good condition otherwise. Later Sunday evening, Mike Matthews, McKenzie’s fiance, said the contractor showed up and was working at that time. The contractor told deputies a screen had plugged solid and it has now been replaced with rock. The system drained about a foot of water when it was fixed.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)