— Police were called at 5:39 a.m. Monday to the 600 block of East Sixth Street for a dog barking excessively, but officers didn’t hear any dogs in the area.

— William Alesi III, 33, of 182 Washington Ave., was charged with a fourth-degree felony count of domestic violence after police were called to the residence at 1:49 a.m. Monday for a reported domestic violence incident involving a knife. Officers spoke with the victim who said she and her boyfriend got into an argument. While she was attempting to leave, her boyfriend attempted to keep her from leaving by making stabbing motions towards her body with a steak knife in hand and threatened to kill her. Alesi, identified as the suspect, was charged and taken to the Columbiana County jail. No injuries were reported and the victim declined medical attention.

— Police were called at 1:10 a.m. Monday to the 400 block of East Euclid Street for a dispute/person to be removed. Officers made contact with an intoxicated female on the front porch who said her family kicked her out of the residence a half hour ago and she was cold. She said she wanted her alcohol from inside the residence and she would leave. A cab was called to transport her to the 1100 block of Franklin Avenue. Her husband remained at the Euclid Street location for the evening due to not wanting to argue with his wife at their residence.

–While an officer was investigating an unrelated call at 1:06 a.m. Monday in the 300 block of South Broadway, a family requested assistance in getting themselves and their vehicle home due to the driver becoming ill. Officers provided assistance in getting them safely to their nearby residence a few blocks away. Police had originally been on patrol at 1:01 a.m. and noticed a male and female who appeared to be arguing . The two said no physical violence occurred. They were identified and sent on their way.

— An officer was flagged down at 1 a.m. Monday about a reckless driver doing “donuts” in the Walgreens parking lot in the 2100 block of East State Street, but the vehicle could not be found.

— A resident in the 500 block of Columbia Street reported a suspicious person at 12:27 a.m. Monday, saying a person of short stature wearing a dark-colored jacket was outside his residence looking into the neighbor’s vehicles. Police didn’t locate anyone.

— A barking dog was reported at 10:51 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of Liberty Street. Officers saw a boxer type of dog tied up on a leash at the back of a residence barking continuously. Officers attempted to make contact but no one answered the door. The dog did not have shelter or food but did have running water. Attempts were made to contact a relative of the resident and also the city humane officer, but no contact was made. Officers located an unlocked door and were able to get the dog to go inside with the leash still attached. An officer attempted to detach the leash, but the dog bit the officer on the right hand causing a minor injury. The leash was left attached to the dog inside the residence. Officers will followup, with minor misdemeanor charges pending.

— An alarm was reported at 9:35 p.m. Sunday in the 2300 block of East State Street. The exterior of the business was secure.

— Officers responded to the 700 block of East Third Street for a report at 9:01 p.m. Sunday of a male yelling, honking his horn, doing a tribal dance and carrying on. Officers located the male preparing to leave through a parking lot and stopped him. K-9 Argo was deployed on the vehicle and did alert to the presence of a narcotics odor. The male and the vehicle were searched, but no contraband was found. He was told to quiet down for the rest of the evening. The same caller had contacted police at 8:42 p.m. about a male being loud. Officers made contact with the male and saw him carrying on and quite animated. Officers spoke with him and noted his behavior was not out of the ordinary based on numerous past contacts with him. He had been told to be less noisy outside to avoid disturbing neighbors.

— Police responded to the area of East Sixth Street and Vine Avenue at 8:26 p.m. Sunday for a report of an intoxicated male and female walking. The female fell and the male picked her up and was carrying her. Nobody was found.

— A vehicle was reported in the road in the 500 block of North Ellsworth Avenue at 7:33 p.m. Sunday. When police arrived, the vehicle was in someone else’s driveway but was still partially in the road. Dispatch attempted to make contact with the owner. The vehicle was towed.

— A caller expressed concern at 7:22 p.m. Sunday for a dog being outside. Police determined the dog had food and shelter.

— Police were called at 6:39 p.m. Sunday to check the welfare of a female in the 300 block of Washington Avenue after a man who lives in England said he couldn’t make contact with his mother. When officers checked, no one was home and her vehicle was gone. The man later called back and said he was able to reach her.

— A woman in the 2500 block of Lexington Avenue reported at 6:34 p.m. Sunday that her 17-year-old son just moved in with her from out-of-state and got upset and left the residence on foot. She was concerned because of the cold and the fact that he didn’t know his way around. Officers located him in the 100 block of Park Drive and gave him a ride home.

— Police responded at 5:25 p.m. Sunday to the deadend on West 16th Street for two SUVs being driven recklessly. The drivers told police they were playing in the snow. They were advised of the safety issue and sent on their way.

— A woman in the 900 block of Newgarden Avenue reported at 4:59 p.m. Sunday that she located footprints in her back yard which came from a nearby field and led to her garage door. She followed the footprints to a residence in the 800 block of Sharp Avenue and questioned the female homeowner who denied knowing anything. Officers spoke to a male and female at the Sharp Avenue location and they denied walking through the field and onto the woman’s property. The garage was not reported entered and nothing was reported missing.

— A theft was reported at 2:18 p.m. Sunday in the 100 block of Washington Avenue where a woman said a known male had taken her prescription medication that she just had refilled. She said she was missing 32 pills and that the male had consumed 10 of them in front of her and would not tell her where the other pills went. He denied taking any pills but voluntarily was taken to Salem Regional Medical Center via EMT due to smoking crack and other drugs.

— A woman from Cleveland Street reported at 12:18 p.m. Sunday that she lost her bank card Saturday and when she realized she lost the card, she contacted the bank to cancel it. Someone, though, used the card Saturday at Giant Eagle for $158.41 and at Pizza Hut for $32.98 prior to her cancelling it.

— A dog was reported at large at 9:57 a.m. Sunday on Southeast Boulevard and Tanglewood. Officers attempted to catch the dog but couldn’t. The humane officer was notified.


— A resident in the 1200 block of West State Street reported a case of trespassing at 10:52 p.m. Sunday, telling police he knows the suspect but was unsure if he was still on the property. He was told the process to get a restraining order and to call if the person returns.

— A caller at 10:25 p.m. Saturday asked police to check on her niece, who lives on West Perry Street, because she talked to her earlier in the day and she said her boyfriend was intoxicated and she was afraid to call the cops. Police made contact and the female said everything was just fine and they had gotten into a verbal altercation. The male said nothing physical occurred, just that he was playing a game on the TV when the female pulled out his headphones. Both parties were told to stay away from each other for the evening.

— Justin Davis, 32, was taken into custody in the 300 block of West Pine Lake Road at 10:19 a.m. Saturday on an active warrant out of Alliance. He was processed and taken to a local area and handed over to Alliance Police.

— Police were flagged down by KLG Ambulance at 9:10 a.m. Saturday in the Salem Acres apartment complex and asked for assistance in finding a residence. Police found the address and stood by with KLG until no longer needed.

— Police responded at 10:22 p.m. Thursday to the 1100 block of Prospect Street for a report of a suspicious person looking into windows. Officers found footprints in the snow and followed them until they reached the pavement and lost the tracks. Police told the caller to contact them if she sees anyone else in the area.


— Dan Hipple, North Market Street, reported Thursday there was a broken window in his apartment.

— After receiving numerous dog complaints about a Jerome Street property, the dispatcher told the caller to call the county dog warden.

— Melissa Timmons, North Market Street, reported Wednesday her ex-boyfriend is harassing her and she was afraid it could escalate to stalking. Timmons was advised of steps to protect herself and how to obtain a protection order if the problems persist.

— Police were called to Apple Grove apartments at 11:16 p.m. Friday, where a woman who said she takes “a lot” of medication said voices in her head were telling her she should hurt her cat. The officer called for an ambulance to have the woman transported to a local hospital to be evaluated.

— Police were called to a domestic dispute on East Chestnut Street at 12:40 a.m. Saturday, where Robert E. Gregg III admitted punching two glass picture frames hanging on the wall while arguing with his wife. Gregg, who admitted to drinking eight beers while watching football, was told he needed to find another place to stay for the night and he was given a ride to his friend’s house.

— Michelle Hall, West Washington Street, reported seeing some footprints in the snow outside her house but did not think anything of it because she had people over for Christmas. On Friday, her pitbull began barking and then she saw large footprints in her fenced in yard leading to the side door.

— A caller reported following a motorist driving north on Market Street at 5:57 p.m. Friday and he was going 11 mph and swerving. Police found the vehicle parked in the Rite Aid lot and spoke to the driver, Elwin Hawk III, who said he was having problems with his vehicle that prevented him from driving more than 10 mph and making it difficult for him to drive. Hawk called his son to give him a ride home and he would return with his wife to retrieve the vehicle.

— Stacey Preddy, East Washington Street, reported witnessing a couple fighting on East Washington Street at 5 p.m. Friday. Police learned the couple left the area, walking toward Pondi’s. The police could not locate the couple or learn any other information.

— A High Street resident met with police on Friday to complain about junked vehicles being kept at an East High Street residence and that it looks like a junk yard.


— Sarah Bricker was parking in front of Columbiana Vision Care when her foot slipped off and she accidentally accelerated and crashed into the handicapped ramp at 11:41 a.m. Saturday.

— Loretta Hammonds of Lorain was cited for driving without a valid license following a traffic stop on state Route 14 at 9:35 p.m. Friday.