SALEM FIRE

— Firefighters were called at 9 a.m. Friday for a residence filling up with smoke in the 2200 block of Merle Road where they saw smoke coming from the chimney only. The homeowner said the woodburner was making a noise and smoke was coming into the house. The woodburner seemed to be working normally. The homeowner said he put water on the fire inside the woodburner and was told if it happens again to use a dry chemical extinguisher. The thermal imaging camera was used to check the walls around the chimney with all findings in the normal range. Firefighters checked the cleanout on the chimney and found the chimney full of creosote. The homeowner was told to have the chimney cleaned before resuming use of the woodburner and to have it checked for damage due to using water inside it.

COMMENTS