LISBON - A new permit has been issued to drill for shale gas in Columbiana County, bringing to 33 the number of well permits issued by the state since mid 2011.
The newest permit was issued to Chesapeake Exploration for a horizontal well on Conny Farms in Knox Township, which is accessible from Buck Road.
Meanwhile, a drilling permit has been submitted to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for the Crosser unit in Center Township, which is accessible from Crosser Road. This is the first permit sought for Center Township.
This brings to 33 the number of locations where permits have been issued or sought in the county since July 2010, although some of the sites have received permission to drill more than one well.
The following is the list of locations by township: Butler, 4; Center, 1; Elkrun, 4; Fairfield, 2; Franklin, 2; Hanover, 6; Knox, 3; Madison, 2; Middleton, 4; Unity, 1; Washington, 2; West, 2.
The following is a list of nine other sites under development, based on road-use agreements filed with the county engineer's office. Drilling permits have yet to be sought for these sites:
- Butler Township: Huffman Trust unit, accessible from Depot and Winona roads.
- Center Township: Andrulis unit, accessible from Lisbon-Dungannon Road.
- Elkrun Township: Johnston unit, accessible from Riffle and Pine Hollow roads.
-Elkrun Township: Chamberlain unit, accessible from Low Road.
-Hanover Township: Hays Trust unit, accessible from Speidel and Ziegler roads.
- Salem Township: Gologram unit, accessible from Grafton Road.
- Madison Township: William Family Trust unit, accessible from Sines Road.
- Middleton Township: Benner unit, accessible from Bye and Justison roads.
- Salem Township: Weaver Unit, accessible from state Route 558.
The practice has been to enter into road-use maintenance agreements before seeking drilling permits.