By KATIE SCHWENDEMAN
COLUMBIANA - The Columbiana school district wants to replace its two older spare buses with new 2012 International buses.
The board last week approved issuing and selling bonds for the purchase of the two new buses. Selling the bonds is different than taking out a loan, as it is based on the market. A benefit for the school is a lower interest rate, while the investor receives tax-exemption.
The resolution adopted by the board calls for the bonds to be sold at a maximum principal amount of $165,000.
Treasurer Lori Posey said the spare buses the district are using will be traded in once the new buses are purchased. The district has a fleet of nine buses, including the two spares. The buses run six regular routes and one special education route.
In other business, the board approved:
- Abolishing one preschool aide position and one middle school classroom aid position and reducing the hours of one middle school classroom aide position from 6.5 to 4.75.
- The resignation of Jayson Yeagley, high school language arts teacher, effective Aug. 3.
- The resignation of Brian Pearl, assistant football coach, effective July 12.
- The resignation of Cody McMillan, middle school football coach, effective July 11.
- Coaching contracts for Tyler Best and Will Johnson, middle school football, Michael Ross, boys golf, Ron Moschella, middle school girls basketball, Eric Bailey, ninth grade boys basketball, Will Johnson, assistant varsity boys basketball, Larry Baughman, eighth grade boys basketball, Ray Steeb, seventh grade girls basketball, and Dave Donnelly, varsity girls basketball.
- Alyssa Lange, David Russell Jr. and Brian Pearl as volunteers.
- Three people for substitute support staff, and 14 substitute teachers.
- A change in status from probationary to regular for Kristy Cyrus, Carla Spaite, Casey Cusick, Victoria Freeman and Jennie Hum.
- Salary changes for Cinda Unkefer and Meghan Houck.
- Doug Covert as part-time Joshua Dixon Elementary Title I tutor for the 2012-13 school year, compensation at $24.25 per hour and Sara Miller Ogrodnik as part-time middle school Title I teacher for the 2012-13 school year.
- Julie Kimpel as speech-language pathologist at Heartland Christian School.
- Seven people to provide services through the auxiliary services program.
- Supplemental contracts for Kristi Ebben, mentor, and Brock Miller, seventh grade boys basketball coach.