EAST LIVERPOOL - Fire crews in St. Clair and Liverpool townships kept busy Wednesday afternoon with three separate fire calls within a short period of time, one of which will result in charges against the homeowner.
Just before 1:30 p.m., firefighters from the Glenmoor station responded to a report of a fire at the home of Virginia Menear, 47395 Y&O Road, where trash had been burning in a barrel and spread through the yard.
According to Deputy Chief Bill Bennett, he and two other firefighters were at the station when the call came in, and the fire was stopped just as it reached the edge of a wooded area.
Liverpool Township firefighter Jake Talbott pours water onto a hot spot during a trash fire that spread into a wooded hillside on Price Street. (Photo by Jo Ann Bobby-Gilbert)
At 2:44 p.m., firefighters from Dixonville, LaCroft, Calcutta and Glenmoor responded to a kitchen fire at 1799 Orchard St., a rental home owned by Frank Bosco.
According to Liverpool Township Chief Mike Bahen, it appears an electrical malfunction set the cooking range on fire, causing minor damage before a township firefighter who happened to be passing by was able to get in and bring the blaze under control prior to the first truck arriving on the scene.
Finally, just moments after 4 p.m., the four departments again were called out, this time to 914 Price St., to the home of Anna Lee Doughty, who had been burning trash.
The fire burned out of control, spreading into a steep wooded hillside, where other trash lay scattered about. Firefighters were sent to the top of Fisher Avenue in case the blaze spread that far, but it was brought under control about a fourth of the way up the hillside.
Bahen said the department was called to the same home four or five years ago for a fire, also while Doughty was living there.
He said the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Forestry Division will cite Doughty for illegal burning for this latest blaze.