SALINEVILLE - Southern Local athletes will benefit from the services of athletic trainers at sporting events and practices for the 2012-13 school year.
At Monday night's meeting, the Southern Local Board of Education voted to approve a partnership between East Liverpool City Hospital and the school district through which the schools will be provided with athletic trainers.
Superintendent John Wilson said he believes the partnership will have a positive impact for students and the community. "It's a great opportunity when local businesses want to partner with schools. They're providing us with a service we wouldn't have otherwise. To get an athletic trainer in here for our kids is huge for us."
In compensation for the its services, Southern must advertise for the hospital at school sporting events, give the hospital the right of first refusal regarding sponsors for school apparel, and furnish four season passes to athletic events.
According to the board, both the Beaver Local and Lisbon school districts have entered into similar agreements with City Hospital.
In other business:
- Southern Local Elementary was recognized as excellent by the P-16 education program.
- Superintendent John Wilson will hold a stadium improvement meeting December 21 at the board office.
- Southern Local will host a lecture by Dr. Anthony Muhammad on "Transforming School Culture" on Dec. 21.
- The treasurer's report showed an ending balance of $240,776 for October and a balance of $371,955 for November.
- The board approved contracts with the following: Breann Widder (math teacher), Justin Adkins (volunteer freshman basketball coach), Todd Walters (junior high track coach), Kristen Cochran (high school girls head softball coach), Greg Sabbato (high school math teacher).