CALCUTTA - A home, garage and two vehicles were destroyed by fire on Valley Drive just after noon Tuesday.
According to Calcutta fire Chief Scott Smith, Charles Cornell was home in the shower when he heard a popping noise. Jumping out of the shower, he went to investigate and found fire already coming through the wall of the living room and kitchen area from the attached garage.
He ran to his parents' home two doors down to call the fire department, which was alerted at 12:01 p.m.
Chemical foam mixed with water, a relatively new technology, helps knock down a fire quicker. Firefighters used the foam during a house fire in Calcutta Tuesday. (Photo by Patti Schaeffer)
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found the entire garage and attic area of the house engulfed in flames, as well as a 2003 GMC truck sitting outside the garage.
A 1997 BMW inside the garage had been hooked up to a battery charger and was also on fire, and Smith said he believes the fire started in that vehicle.
"It went real well, the guys knocked the fire down really fast," Smith said, adding that, while the house didn't suffer much fire damage, it did sustain heat, smoke and water damage throughout the entire structure, leading him to believe it will be a total loss.
The home was insured, and the Red Cross was called and was on the scene.
Calcutta was assisted at the scene by Glenmoor, Dixonville and LaCroft, with a total of 15 firefighters battling the blaze.
Negley, Wellsville and West Point were on stand-by for the stations on the scene.