SALEM - A fire on state Route 45 Wednesday night could have had several causes, only one of which was a heater plugged into the upstairs bedroom.
Winona Fire Chief George Brantingham said Thursday the heater was a point of interest, but only one of several possible causes being considered. Firefighters from Winona, Leetonia and Perry Township responded to the call at the two-story house owned by Carl Hunt Sr. at 10:26 p.m. Wednesday.
Brantingham said the damage to the home was kept to a minimum, with most of the heavy smoke and heat damage confined to the upstairs bedroom where the fire is believed to have started. Brantingham said the downstairs is salvageable.
Firefighters cleared the fire at 12:45 a.m. and no one was injured.
The home was insured and the homeowner has reportedly been in contact with his insurance company as of Thursday.
Hunt has lived in the home since 2006, according to his son Carl Jr., who is visiting his father from his home in New Jersey.
The two had been outside and, when they returned, the younger Hunt noticed that the television was no longer on. He went upstairs, smelled smoke and felt heat coming from the closed bedroom door. He immediately took out his phone and called 911, and the two men went outside and waited for firefighters to arrive.
The house is located just north of ski slope hill between Salem and Lisbon.