COLUMBIANA - The Columbiana School District is trying again for a $4 million bond for South Side Middle School. It is the third time the district is seeking the bond since August of last year.
Voters rejected the bond by 129 votes at the May 7 primary election this year.
The additional tax would generate the money over 29 years, with revenue going toward refurbishments at South Side Middle School.
The district wants to replace the 50-year-old school's leaking roof, update the heating and ventilation system and create handicap accessibility.
The board of education passed a resolution Tuesday putting the bond issue on the Nov. 5 election ballot. According to the resolution the ballot language will exclude "athletic facilities," which Superintendent Don Mook said dissuaded voters from passing the bond the last two times.
He said voters did not want to see money go toward the athletic facilities, and since then the district has assured voters that will not be done.
The board also approved:
- Setting substitute rates for teachers at $70 per day, bus drivers and medical professionals at $11 per hour and classified support staff at $7.85 per hour.
- One-year limited contracts for Leslie Costal, Anita Webber and Robin Stewart, as medical professionals, non-bargaining members.
- A one-year limited contract for Josh Boone as technology assistant, non-bargaining member.
- Allison Moran and Megan McCallister as tutors.
- Supplemental contracts for Greg Kibler as head cross country coach, Bob Spaite as head varsity football coach, Dan Vargo as head golf coach and Darcy Quinlan as head girls varsity soccer coach.
- Jason Baker was approved as head varsity boys basketball coach, Ron Moschella as head varsity girls basketball coach and Alexandra Veitz as high school cheerleading advisor for the 2013-14 school year.
- One year supplemental contracts were also issued to several people for foreign language club advisors, instrumental and vocal music director, class advisors, weight room supervision, high school play director, and others.
Non-personnel matters approved were:
- The reappointment of Robert Hum II as Columbiana Public Library Board trustee for a seven-year term, effective July 1.
On another matter a public hearing has been set for 6:30 p.m. July 9 at the high school media center for the purpose of Posey's retirement, effective Aug. 1. She is seeking re-employment with the district, meaning that if approved she would continue working while receiving retirement benefits.