COLUMBIANA A group of more than 50 people were silent Tuesday during a seconds-long public hearing for the rehiring of Columbiana School District Treasurer Lori Posey.
The hearing was part of the regular board of education meeting and held before the board took action on her retirement.
Posey is seeking to be rehired by the district after retiring Aug. 1. She was first hired as treasurer in 1994 and is currently making $89,932.
Although no one spoke during the hearing, Dani Clancy, co-chairwoman of the Building Excellence Committee, asked during the regular meeting how much the rehiring will cost the district.
She said that as co-chair of the committee for the $4 million bond issue the district is seeking this November, people will be asking her about the "double dip."
Double dipping is when an employee retires from a position and is rehired in the same position, earning a salary while also receiving retirement benefits.
Posey did not respond to the question and Board President Kelly Witmer told Clancy that information would be provided to her soon.
When asked after the meeting how much she will receive in benefits, Posey said she did not have those figures immediately available.
Her rehiring will likely appear on the August meeting agenda.
In other business, the board approved:
- Authorizing the treasurer to enroll in a workers' compensation group rating and risk management program.
- One-year membership dues in the amount of $528 for The Ohio Coalition for Equity and Adequacy School Funding.
- Laying off Peggy Mills, custodian, due to the June 11 abolishment of classified positions due to lack of work.
- An extended duty contract for summer 2013 for Cathi Raub-Carney, middle school/elementary guidance counselor, for the purpose of scheduling up to five days at her per diem rate.
- Columbiana County Educational Service Center contracts for technology services, speech language services and on-bus instructors, in the amount of $11,164, $76,337, and $30 per hour respectively.
- One year supplemental contracts for 11 people.
- Summer Barker as jayvee volleyball coach, Nancy Tirpack as seventh grade volleyball coach, Brian Pearl, Mike Strohecker, Kris Reash, Mike Bettura and Randy Barker as assistant varsity football coaches, John Tollas Sr. as football equipment manager and Dave Donnelly as ninth grade girls basketball coach.
- Mark D'Eramo as assistant varsity girls basketball coach, Ray Steeb as seventh grade girls basketball coach and Ron Moschella as fifth and sixth grade girls basketball skills development.
- Ernie Yacovone as head boys soccer coach for the 2013-14 school year.
- Bonnie Wilkinson as volleyball coach volunteer.
- A master agreement between the Columbiana Local Association of School Support and the board of education, effective July 1 through June 30, 2016.
- Arleen DeVivo as English as a second language tutor for approximately one hour per work for the summer.
- The 2013-14 high school student handbook.
The next meeting was set for 6:30 p.m. Aug. 13 in the high school media center.