NEW WATERFORD - With some contracts awarded this week, the Crestview School District is currently looking for only two positions for the upcoming school year.
However, needing only a part-time art teacher and a part-time gifted coordinator is making the positions hard to fill. Superintendent John Dilling said he would be thrilled to find someone with both sets of credentials, but has concerns it could be difficult.
In the event only an art teacher can be found, Dilling said the school could contract through the Education Service Center in order to find someone for the gifted position.
This week, the board approved hiring Stephanie Chizmar, an elementary music teacher, and placing Dominic Dangelo at the masters level on the pay scale. Additionally, they named some coaches - Matthew Evans, assistant high school football coach; McKenzie Cross, junior varsity volleyball coach; and volunteer coaches Dawn Moore, assistant high school girls soccer and Corey Coblentz, assistant high school golf.
In other matters:
- Enrollment figures were discussed with Dilling telling the board the overall enrollment is close to where they were last year, despite a new board policy where some students were rejected to return and others placed on a contract involving their conduct.
"We have a large migration of students who are interested in Crestview," Dilling said. "We appreciate that. It helps to keep us healthy and sound."
- The board approved dues for the upcoming year to the Ohio Coalition for Equity and Adequacy of School Funding. Membership costs nearly $629. The organization provides a voice to school districts concerned about school funding issues.
- The board also approved participation in the Family and Children First Council of Columbiana County for the upcoming school year.
- The board accepted donations of $1,288 from the Crestview After Prom Committee to the Class of 2014.
- The board approved expenses for Dr. Edward Miller and James Weikart to attend the Ohio School Boards Association Capital Conference in Columbus in November.