Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS


August 5, 2013
Salem News

Salem reports

-Police on patrol in the 100 block of S. Broadway Avenue at 2:26 a.m. Sunday observed a northbound vehicle lose control and strike an unoccupied parked vehicle. Wayne E. Smith Jr., 2059 Monroe #23, was charged with OVI and failure to control and released to a family member.

-Police responded to the 900 block of Park Avenue at 3:27 a.m. Sunday where the complainant advised the driver's side window on her 2008 Pontiac G6 was shattered while parked in the driveway.

-Police on patrol in the area of S. Lincoln Avenue and Columbia Street observed a man staggering on the sidewalk at 3:31 a.m. and gave him a courtesy ride to his residence a couple of blocks away.

-John R. Mohr and Megan McClaskey, both of 174 W. 5th Street were charged with domestic violence after police responded to a domestic in progress. Both had visible injuries and were taken to the county jail.

-Police responded to the 1700 block of Allen Road to assist Perry Township police with a disturbance at the residence and cleared the call.

-Police responded to the Newgarden Avenue and Mullins Street area at 5:58 p.m. Saturday for a fight in progress. Joseph M. Penick, 1250 S.E. Blvd. #23 and Eric Davidson, 1826 S. Lincoln Avenue, were both charged with disorderly conduct and advised to stay away from each other.

-Police responded to the 500 block of Bank Street at 6:18 p.m. Saturday for a report of two people entering a vacant home through the basement. Officers announced their presence and heard noises from upstairs, however the people failed to comply and had barricaded themselves in the attic. After numerous commands police used OC spray to dislodge them and James M. McVay, 11149 Trinity Church Road, Lisbon and Aleah A. Good, 1281 Prospect Ext., Salem, were charged with criminal trespassing and obstructing official business after surrendering. The Salem Fire Department decontaminated the scene and arrestees.

-Police responded to the 300 block of S. Ellsworth Avenue at 7:47 p.m. Saturday where the complainant advised a battery was stolen from their truck. They were advised of the options.

-Police responded to the 400 block of Newgarden Avenue at 9:22 p.m. Saturday for a report of a loud explosion and were unable to locate a disturbance of any type.

-Police responded to the N. Ellsworth Avenue and W. 2nd Street intersection at 11:55 p.m. after Nicholas Sanlo, 800 Sharp Avenue pulled out of a private drive onto N. Ellsworth Avenue and entered the road in the 100 block of W. 2nd Street and ran off the right side striking an Ohio Edison pole can causing disabling damage to his car. There were no injuries and Sanlo was cited for reasonable control.

-Police heard a complaint on station Saturday from a Liberty Street man on Saturday who said he was contacted by a friend by email asking for $4,300 because he was in the Philippines and had been robbed at gunpoint. The complainant said he wired the money and learned his friend was not in the Philippines and it was a scam.

-Police responded to the 300 block of E. 5th Street at 9:17 a.m. Saturday where the complainant advised two nail guns were missing and there were no signs of forced entry.

Lisbon reports

- An officer on patrol at 9:24 p.m. Saturday saw someone later identified as David Fitzpatrick walking through the alley between Jerome and Spruce streets holding a beer can. Fitzpatrick was advised the next time he would be cited for having an open container of alcohol in public.

- A caller reported a green Jeep was parked in a yard at the corner of Pine Street and Thomas Road and the radio was on very loud and there was no one in the vehicle. This was at 11:40 a.m. Sunday.

- Misty Mahon, Quay Road, Negley, came to the police station on Sunday to speak with an officer about a landlord/tenant dispute.

- Police accompanied a Children Services worker to a home on East Lincoln Way at 11 a.m. Friday in attempt to gain custody of a 5-month-old boy who lived there. No one was found to be home, and neighbors advised the person in question no longer lived there.

- Zoning Clerk Alisa Gostey reported Friday there was a yard sale at the corner of Vine and Chestnut streets, and the person had not paid for a permit. The people hosting the yard sale were advised. Gostey said another home on North Market was guilty of doing the same.

- A barking dog complaint was received on Sunset Drive at 2:21 p.m. Friday. An officer checked the area but did not hear any barking dogs.

- Jeffrey Zallick wanted an officer to accompany him to a home on Pritchard Avenue while he picked up his belongings at 4:32 p.m. Friday.

- Police were asked by investigators from Children Services to meet them at a home at the corner of Thomas and Pine streets at 4:32 p.m. Friday while they investigated a child abuse claim involving a 4-year-old girl made to stand in the yard in her underwear. Police got the parties to calm down so the investigator could do her job, and then warned the parties that charges would be filed if he received any further calls about any disturbances.

- Stevie Halverstadt, Vine Street, called for an officer at 6 p.m. Friday because her nephew was on his way to the residence and she did not want him there. Police advised they would keep a watch on the property.

- Samantha Aldish of Hanoverton came to the station on Friday to complain about her ex-husband letting their 10-year-old daughter being left at the county fairgrounds unsupervised.

- Amy Haines reported Friday evening being assaulted by her two brothers, who she said grabbed her by the arm, throat and took the phone from hand, breaking the phone in the process. The brothers claimed Haines was the aggressor and they showed signs of being assaulted, and the one brother denied laying a hand on her. No charges were filed due to the conflicting stories, and all parties refused to press charges.

- Police were called to the Steel Trolley Diner at 3:48 a.m. Saturday in regard to a man locked in the bathroom. The man was identified as Anthony Yingling from Pennsylvania, who is in town working the carnival rides at the county fair. Yingling was a little intoxicated but alert, answered questions and otherwise appeared fine. Diner employees said the man had been in the bathroom for nearly two hours when they disassembled the lock and found Yingling sleeping against the bathroom door. Yingling said after working 12 hours he went out for a drink but believes he fell asleep because of fatigue and alcohol. Police gave Yingling a ride back to the campground where he is staying.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web