LISBON - Clint Lepowsky, who had been employed with the Education Service Center as a mechanic, was among resignations accepted on Monday, less than a month from his OVI first offense conviction.
Lepowsky, 42, Steubenville Pike, Lisbon, pleaded no contest to OVI first offense on Dec. 26. He was fined $675, had his license suspended for 180 days and sentenced to five days in jail.
Lepowsky was charged with OVI following a crash in November, which sent sheriff's Deputy Willie Coleman to the hospital with injuries. Coleman was behind a truck, driven by Lepowsky, and both vehicles were southbound on Market Street when the deputy attempted to pass with his lights and sirens on to get to a call. The truck turned east onto High Street and struck the cruiser.
The impact caused the cruiser to go off the road into the corner of a brick home, which was built in 1820. The cruiser damaged not only the house but the yard and a wooden fence. Coleman was taken by ambulance to Salem Community Hospital.
A citation of failure to yield the right of way for an emergency vehicle is still pending against Lepowsky in Columbiana County Municipal Court with the next pretrial scheduled for Feb. 11.
When asked about the resignation, ESC Superintendent Anna Marie Vaughn said it was Lepowsky's decision, but the job description does require him to have certain licenses.
In other matters, Vaughn explained to board members the staff had provided them the jars of candy left on their tables at Monday's meeting for Board Appreciation Month.
"The board is the heart and soul of school districts," Vaughn explained of the candy heart chocolates. "Our staff knows they are fortunate to have such a supportive board."
The board also:
- Accepted the resignations of Susan Wenderoth, Tammy Virden and Kristy Lake. Board president Richard Stout said both Wenderoth and Lake are long time employees of the ESC.
- Approved the hiring of one-on-one aide, Robert Flint, who will work at Beaver Local, and Jennifer Boling, who will work as a teacher attendant.
- Approved student teacher assignments for two from Kent State, Erin Newburn and Jessica Yates.
- Approved an additional five days of CPI training for Angela Morris, and 13 additional hours for literary coaches Amber Thompson, Stephanie Patrick, Shelly Zeh and Heather Yoho.
- Approved a salary scale for teacher attendants and para educator I positions at $7.95 per hour and para educator II positions at $8.50 per hour.
- Approved FMLA sick leave for Matt Henderson.