Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS


January 31, 2014
Salem News


-Joey Lafleme, 22, of 214 E. Third St., was charged with physical control after police were called at 3:01 a.m. Thursday to the 1100 block of East State Street for an allegedly intoxicated person attempting to leave in a vehicle. The report said police located the driver, who was intoxicated, and charged him.

- An alarm was reported at 1:24 a.m. Thursday in the 2300 block of East State Street, with the exterior found secure.

- An anonymous caller at 12:44 a.m. Thursday reported an open driver side door on a vehicle in the Stadium Chevrolet parking lot. An officer found the vehicle and noted no forced entry and no keys inside. The vehicle was secured.

- Police responded at 9:55 p.m. Wednesday to the 200 block of West Ninth Street where a mother and adult son had a verbal dispute regarding pets in the house. The adult son was told he must abide by the rules while living there. He agreed to return the pet to the store.

- A family member called police at 8:11 p.m. Wednesday to check on a tenant in the 100 block of Hawley Avenue because the landlord was outside pounding on the door. The tenant said all was fine. There was an issue over a dog, but the tenant was making arrangements to move the dog to a new home. The landlord left before police arrived.

- Officers responded to the 900 block of West Pershing Street for a 911 hangup call at 7:46 p.m. Wednesday and noise in the background indicating a possible altercation in progress. A man ran out of the back of the residence and was found on West State Street. Officers learned the male and a female had a verbal altercation, but no threats or violence occurred.

- Police responded to the 300 block of South Ellsworth Avenue at 7:26 p.m. Wednesday for a report of a young child possibly home alone. The child was with a family member and was okay.

- The owner of a property in the 600 block of East Third Street had tenants legally evicted and requested at 4:08 p.m. Wednesday that police check to ensure no one was in the home. Police checked and found several people who willingly left the home.

- A person who had been in the 400 block of Fair Avenue at 4:04 p.m. Wednesday reported dropping a clear plastic container that had papers, identification and other items inside. The person left contact information and will be notified it it's turned in or found.

- Police were called to the 400 block of Fair Avenue at 3:46 p.m. Wednesday for a suspicious vehicle. A blue van was parked along the curb and the driver was identified as a representative of Just Energy and was seen going door to door. He was told to stop soliciting until obtaining a proper permit at Salem City Hall.

- A male employee of Pizza Hut on West State Street reported at 3:49 p.m. Wednesday that a woman placed a $40 order and never picked it up. She tried to place the order over the phone for take-out with a credit card and was told she needed to come in with the credit card when picking up the order. The order was placed and no one came. The employee made contact with the woman who hung up when she was told the order was there and nobody came for it. The employee wanted a report on file in case the woman was trying to use a stolen credit card. He also called another pizza shop to tell them about the possible scam.

- Police were called at 3:31 p.m. Wednesday for an open door and ended up talking with a woman in the 200 block of East Sixth Street who said her dog ran away from the residence while she was napping, saying the door apparently blew open. She found the dog at her neighbor's residence and all was fine.

- Police responded to two separate areas, the 1400 block of North Ellsworth Avenue and Walmart on East State Street, in search of a woman in a tan vehicle with her four-way flashers on having some type of medical problem at 2:38 p.m. Wednesday. The vehicle couldn't be found in the first area. The woman's grandson called then and said she had contacted his mother and he found her in the Walmart parking lot. The daughter arrived and transported her mother to Salem Regional Medical Center.

- A woman reported a possible scam at 1:26 p.m. Wednesday, telling police her mother in Salem received a message from a man in Las Vegas about the mother winning third place in a Mega Millions drawing and that she needed to send a money order to an IRS agent in Georgia for the taxes and then the prize money would be sent to her in Salem. The woman wanted people to know about the scam. She also let her mother know that she could not win something in a drawing she had not entered.

- A man in the 600 block of Deming Street called police at 11:14 a.m. Wednesday to check on suspicious activity. A resident was found removing siding from a garage on Cedar Street. The garage had recently caught fire.


- Police responded to Quaker Mfg., Georgetown Road, for a report at 9:42 p.m. Wednesday for a theft. A GPS unit and three packs of cigarettes were stolen from an unlocked vehicle.

- A woman came to the police station to speak with an officer at 8:24 p.m. Wednesday regarding a domestic dispute that occurred in the 1300 block of Benton Road earlier in the evening. She had no visible marks on her and only wanted a report on file. The other half of the dispute was contacted and told to cease contact with the woman for the rest of the night.

- A man on Allen Drive called at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday to report an attempted identity theft. No money was missing from any accounts and he already contacted all major credit monitoring companies.

- A representative of Blossom Nursing home reported at 3:13 p.m. Wednesday that a patient from the facility had a wedding band and ring taken sometime Tuesday or Wednesday.

- An officer on patrol drove up on a suspicious vehicle parked at Egypt Road and Pine Lake Road at 2:59 p.m. Wednesday and found two juvenile occupants in possession of a road sign from Green Township which they admitted to stealing. Goshen Police were contacted and responded, taking possession of the road sign and taking over the investigation.


- Loni Quinn, 23, 17223 E. Fifth St., Beloit, was arrested for theft after officers responded to the Dollar General in Beloit at 9:18 p.m. Tuesday where she allegedly attempted to leave the store without paying for $16.70 worth of merchandise.


- A resident of Maple Street reported at 10:11 a.m. Jan. 24 her 11-year-old stepson jumped out of the car and ran away toward the bike trail. Police found the boy, who told them he ran away because he was tired of his mother hitting him in the face, sometimes for no reason. The boy said he has told his father, who has done nothing about it.

- Tiffany Hipple reported at 10:12 p.m. Monday there was a reckless driver heading into town south on state Route 45 and identified the vehicle as a dark Chevrolet Silverado. An officer waited for the vehicle to arrive, but it never did.

- Police responded to a medical call at a home on North Beaver Street at 12:36 a.m. Tuesday, where a mother said her baby was shaking. The EMTs advised police they believed the child was fine but were going to transport them by ambulance to a local hospital to be examined. The EMTs later reported that while on their way to the hospital the mother became combative and told them she had used heroin before calling them.


- Police responded to a report a of semi-truck losing its trailer at the intersection of state Routes 14 and 164 at 1:07 a.m. Wednesday. The report did not include any other details.

- Tina Fritsch, North Bayshore Drive, reported Wednesday receiving harassing calls from her boyfriend's sister.

- Robert Roush, South West Street, reported Wednesday being involved in a landlord-tenant dispute over an eviction.

- Dave Perkins reported at 4:32 p.m. Wednesday a Chevrolet HHR was parked in front of a fire hydrant at the corner of Friend and Main. The car was gone by the time an officer an arrived.

- A 911 call was received from Manor Apartments at 6:37 p.m. Wednesday from a woman who was initially unable to say why she called or her location. Police were finally able to determine her identity and that she needed an ambulance.

- Police were called back to Manor Apartments at 10:52 p.m. Wednesday after learning from Lifeline that an ambulance crew was needed to assist another person.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web