Leetonia home destroyed by fire
LEETONIA — A Grafton Estates family and their dog escaped their burning home on Tuesday evening after a fire started in the garage.
Leetonia Fire Department Assistant Chief Jason Hephner said both he and his brother were in the immediate area and arrived in three or four minutes, but the garage of the home was fully engulfed through the roof already.
The fire destroyed the garage and some of the vehicles parked outside in the driveway. It traveled through the eaves of the attic above the rest of the home, but firefighters stopped it there.
The Farrington Road home is owned by Kevin and Cheryl Williams. The couple and two children were home at the time and everyone made it out safely.
Hephner said Kevin Williams went by car to a hospital just to be checked out after the fire.
A dog got out with the family as well, but ran back inside while firefighters were battling the fire. After being rescued a second time by firefighters calling her name, the dog was given some oxygen outside and recovered.
Besides the Leetonia department, firefighters from Columbiana and Green Township assisted at the fire. Because they were pulling so much water from the system, a fire alarm system alerted at the newly constructed Haltec Inc. facility in the industrial park.
A couple of fire trucks left the house fire and went to make certain it was just due to low pressure in the sprinkler system in the building, before returning to the structure fire.
The home was insured and Hephner said they believe the house was a total loss. While firefighters were still working, neighbors in the area were already checking on and bringing supplies to Cheryl Williams and the children, who were standing at the corner of the property.