— A suspicious male was reported at 3:02 a.m. Tuesday in the 500 block of East State Street. Police found the male sitting on a bench, not in violation of any laws.

— A caller at 1:53 a.m. Tuesday reported a suspicious male standing on the sidewalk on his phone in the 700 block of North Ellsworth Avenue. He told police he was waiting on a female friend to walk with her so she didn’t have to walk alone.

— A vehicle was reported in a no parking zone in the 700 block of East Fifth Street at 9:50 p.m. Monday. Police were unsuccessful in contacting the owner and issued a parking ticket, attaching it to the windshield.

— A verbal dispute was reported at 9:33 p.m. Monday in the 800 block of Homewood Avenue involving a male and female in a silver SUV who were stopping in the road during an argument. The vehicle was gone when police arrived.

— A 15-year-old boy from Washingtonville was taken to the Tobin juvenile detention center after being charged with assault, obstruction, disorderly conduct and possession of marijuana when police were called to a fight in the area of Circle K East, 1125 E. State St., at 8:08 p.m. Monday. A group of juveniles had an argument that became physical. Police were speaking with people and noticed another group walking away. When officers made contact with a male juvenile involved, he refused to cooperate and refused to identify himself, pulling away and becoming aggressive with them. He was taken into custody on the multiple charges. A female juvenile, 14, of Salem, was taken into custody on a charge of obstruction and released to her mother.

— An alarm was reported at 7:36 p.m. Monday in the 900 block of Adam Avenue, but the residence was secure.

— A barking dog was reported at 7:30 p.m. Monday in the 800 block of East Fourth Street. Police heard the dog bark while passing the home, but did not hear any barking the rest of the time.

— A caller at 7:24 p.m. Monday reported juveniles throwing an item back and forth to each other across State Street in the 500 block, learning it was a bouncy ball. Police told them to stop due to traffic and safety concerns.

— A man from East Fourth Street reported at 5:52 p.m. Monday that he came out of Walmart and found scratches on his car in the parking lot.

— A dog was reported at large at Waterworth Memorial Park at 5:30 p.m. Monday, but was not found.

— A woman on West Wilson reported at 5:25 p.m. Monday that money was taken from her bank account. She could not find her debit card, then noticed the money missing from her account. The bank told her to get a police report and disabled her debit card.

— Drug paraphernalia was reported in the 300 block of Sharp Avenue at 5:11 p.m. Monday, found laying on the sidewalk and recovered. The contraband will be destroyed.

— Police received a call at 5:01 p.m. Monday regarding two dogs inside a crate outside in the sun for an extended time in the 1100 block of North Ellsworth Avenue. Officers found the dogs inside a crate, but they were in the shade. The resident said the dogs were not out there long and had drank before going outside. They were taken out of the crate and taken inside.

— A woman reported at 4:28 p.m. Monday that a vicious dog with no collar and off leash in the 500 block of East Third Street attacked her dog and bit it. Officers did not locate the dog.

— A dog was reported at large at 4:15 p.m. Monday in the 1100 block of Newgarden Avenue. Officers located the dog but were unable to catch it. The humane officer was notified.

— Police checked on an open door at a house on South Broadway Avenue on Monday afternoon, finding the residence vacant and dilapidated. The housing department will be notified.

— John Bingham, 52, of South Ellsworth Avenue, was cited for assured clear distance ahead after his eastbound vehicle struck the rear of another eastbound vehicle driven by Denise Brainard, 39, of East Sixth Street, who was stopped in traffic on East State Street near Aldi’s at 3:55 p.m. Monday. No injuries were reported.

— An anonymous person dropped of an item found in his yard in the 600 block of Fair at 3:05 p.m. Monday. The item will be secured at the police station.

— Police responded at 2:43 p.m. Monday to a report of a 3-year-old child locked out of a home on South Madison Avenue. Officers tried multiple times to get the attention of someone inside the residence without success. Officers were able to make entry after determining the child lived there. A mother was located and woken up and told about the problem with her son being locked out of the home. The report said the mother did not have a reasonable excuse for why the boy was locked out. The case will be referred to Children Services for a follow-up. Officers did make a small amount of damage to the doorway upon entry.

— A driver received a warning for traffic violations and contraband after a traffic stop at 2:25 p.m. Monday on East Pershing Street near South Union Avenue. Officers found a small amount of contraband during a search.

— An intoxicated driver was reported in the 900 block of East State Street at 1:43 p.m. Monday, but was not found.

— Police were called at 1:40 p.m. Monday in the 300 block of Newgarden Avenue to check the well-being of the homeowner, who reported being fine and just had an argument with the ex.

— A woman at a business in the 2200 block of East State Street reported at 11:45 a.m. Monday that she noticed daylight near a roof vent from inside the business. Officers checked the unit and had the fire department respond with a ladder to check the roof. It was determined the screen cover to the vent had blown off, possibly from a recent storm. No other damage was found. The woman was told to contact the property owner about getting the screen fixed.

— The housing department had a junk vehicle towed with help from the police department in the 400 block of Sharp Avenue at 11:07 a.m. Monday. A 10-day notice for junk vehicle removal had been placed on the Buick SUV last month.

— Rikki Buchheit, 29, of Negley, was cited for a red light violation after she told police she did not see the red light until it was too late and went through the intersecton in the 2300 block of East State Street, striking a vehicle driven by Cheryl Prior, 59, of Washingtonville, who had the green light at 9:45 a.m. Monday.

— A woman in the 1300 block of South Lincoln Avenue contacted police at 9:57 a.m. Monday to report an assault. She was unsure what time and what day it happened.

— A 16-year-old Salem girl was cited for a stop sign violation after she reportedly pushed on the gas instead of the brake at a stop sign while eastbound on West 10th Street, getting struck by a southbound vehicle driven by Thomas Czoka, 69, of Warren, on North Ellsworth Avenue at 8:31 a.m. Monday. The vehicle the girl was driving had to be towed from the scene.

— A Salem city school bus driver, 40-year-old Brianne Falk, was cited for improper turn after the bus she was driving made a wide right turn and struck a parked car owned by George Tyson of Liberty Street at 7:51 a.m. Monday in the area of Vine and Third.


–A caller reported at 7:50 p.m. Sunday about possible drug activity witnessed on Fairfield School Road. The details were provided to police.

–Brittany Bingham, 28, of New Waterford, was cited for public intoxication on East Park Avenue at 2:39 a.m. Sunday.

–Police received a complaint about illegal dumping at the Circle K at 11:55 p.m. Sunday.

–Hank W. Joy Jr., 31, of Lisbon, and Jamie Pastore, 32, of Washingtonville, were both arrested and charged with possessing drug abuse instruments following a traffic stop on West Salem Street at 12:26 a.m. Tuesday.

–A woman from South West Street stopped by on Monday to provide information about illegal drugs.


–Police were called to the Circle K at 12:32 a.m. Tuesday, where man walked out and said he felt like he was about to overdose. The man was shoeless and lost. The man was not sure which drug he took but believed it to be some vicodin, washed down with alcoholic beverages. An ambulance was called to transport him to a local hospital.

–A man reported his wallet was stolen from his pickup truck on Aug. 3 when he was either at the Circle K or Mary’s Pizza. The wallet contained $500 in cash.

–The owners of a tent company reported one of their tents was stolen from the county fairgrounds on Aug. 5.

–Police were called to Apple Grove apartments at 7:43 p.m. Monday after a resident reported drinking three cases of beer and Fireball whiskey. An ambulance was called to transport him to a local hospital.

–Police responded to report of shots being fired on North Street at 8:16 p.m. Saturday, which ended up with the arrest of John A. Applegate, 62, of Pendleton Street. After Applegate was identified as the suspect, police went to the house and found him to be intoxicated. When asked if he had fired any weapons, Applegate denied taking his gun out but then said the kids should not have been on his property. When police asked him what weapon he used, Applegate said his .40-caliber Smith & Wesson, and one of the officers retrieved it from his bedroom. Applegate reportedly fired shots into his lawn to scare away the youths on his property, and he was charged with inducing panic and having weapons while intoxicated.