— Police were dispatched at 1:16 a.m. Tuesday for a large tree in the roadway on Egypt Road. The street department came out and removed the tree to open the road.

— A resident in the 1300 block of Highland East reported at 8:45 p.m. Monday that an unknown person was walking on his property. He said he opened his garage and saw a male walk by his garage. Officers checked the area but didn’t find anyone.

— Police responded at 8:15 p.m. Monday to Circle K South on South Lincoln Avenue for a person riding a moped on the curb with no light. The caller said the person was almost struck several times. The moped was not found.

— Police responded at 6:40 p.m. Monday to Campf’s on Depot Road for a report of a suspicious person rummaging through a vehicle that was dropped off for maintenence. Officers made contact with a man and with the registered owner, who had the same last name. She said the man was permitted to be in the vehicle.

— Police spoke with the board president of Pawsitive Hope animal shelter on South Lincoln Avenue at 11:01 a.m. Monday in reference to an ex-board member who has been causing problems at the shelter. Police advised her of having a trespass notice filed against the person so he could be served if he returns.

— Police were flagged down at 10:03 a.m. Monday in the 1400 block of East 11th Street by employees of Miller Pipeline regarding a Husky dog attacking a small dog. The employees pulled the Husky off and it went east on 11th Street. Officers located the dog in the 1500 block along with the owner, of Painter Road, who was trying to secure the dog. He was told what happened and that police were going to check with the other dog’s owner to check on its well-being. The owner of the other dog said the dog was not injured but was shaken up from the attack. A report will be on file in case the dog needs medical treatment.


— A male came to the police station at 9:39 p.m. Monday to report he was taken earlier to Salem Regional Medical Center after he had chest pains and suicidal thoughts and he didn’t feel he was being treated or cared for properly so he walked out. He said he still had suicidal thoughts and wanted to go to another hospital. Fire department first responders and EMT arrived at the police station and police pink-slipped the male, ordering that he be transported to St. Elizabeth in Youngstown for treatment.

— Police responded at 8:36 p.m. Monday to Walmart on East State Street for one person to be removed. A store employee said the male to be removed had been causing multiple problems and was now not allowed back in the store. He was served with paperwork saying he’s trespassed from the store and not allowed to return. He left without incident.

— Police were called at 8:05 p.m. Monday to the 300 block of North Ellsworth Avenue to check the well-being of a female. She was found sleeping in an upstairs bedroom and was ok.

— A suspicious person was reported at 8:10 p.m. Monday in the 500 block of East Second Street. A woman was inside a business cleaning when a male was looking inside the window. Officers searched the area attempting to locate the male.

— A woman reported possible fraud at 6:13 p.m. Monday, saying she went to the bank to transfer money from her savings into her checking account so she could pay some bills and the teller said her checking account was overdrawn by $400. The teller printed out a copy of a check written to a female for $400. She said she did not write the check and does not even know the female. She believed the check was stolen from her residence on Prospect Street. An investigation is pending.

— An intoxicated woman was reported stumbling in the road in the 1400 block of East Third Street at 5:59 p.m. Monday. Officers found the woman sitting at the curb. She admitted to drinking alcohol and officers determined she lived in the area. A neighbor offered to drive her home. The woman was told to remain home for the night and received a warning for public intoxication.

— During a well-being check at 5:16 p.m. Monday in the 600 block of Olive Street, a resident said she was fine.

— A line was reported down in the 800 block of Summit Street at 4:58 p.m. Monday. Officers stood by while fire personnel removed the wire from the road.

— An officer at 4:18 p.m. Monday spoke with a male and his two juvenile daughters, who were told the importance of listening to their parents and respecting them when told to listen.

— Police responded at 3:55 p.m. Monday to East State Street to search for four people riding bicycles impeding the roadway. The people were located riding their bicycles in the middle of the street holding up traffic. They were told not to impede traffic.

— A parent reported at 3:17 p.m. Monday that her daughter was being harassed via social media and texting by a juvenile male. She said it’s an ongoing problem and wanted it documented. She was told her options if the harassment continues.

— A caller at 3:04 p.m. Monday reported two dogs locked in a vehicle with the windows up in the Walmart parking lot on East State Street. The vehicle was not found.

— Police responded at 12:50 p.m. Monday to Rite Aid on East State Street for a report of missing property. The store manager said a book of lottery tickets sent to the store was never checked into the store system. He said he believed the tickets were not stolen but shipped to the wrong store.

— A dog was reported at large in the 1000 block of East Sixth Street at 10:34 a.m. Monday. The dog was found lying in the driveway. A family member was contacted and responded, taking the dog inside the home.

— Police stood by with the housing department at 10:33 a.m. Monday while the inspector had a vehicle towed from an address in the 400 block of East Perry Street.


— Police responded to a report of people arguing at 140 S. West St. at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday ended up taking Mark D. Knight, 19, into custody on an arrest warrant from the county sheriff’s office.

— Edward H. Sprouse, 56, was taken into custody on an arrest warrant out of Belmont County following a traffic stop on South Main Street at 5:39 a.m. Tuesday.

— Jaron R. Stull, 26, of Leetonia, was charged with possessing marijuana paraphernalia following a traffic stop on state Route 14 at 3:09 a.m. Monday.

— Police were to a home on South Middle Street at 6:32 p.m. Monday to intervene in an argument between a father and underage son.

— Andrew C. Lesher, 58, of Columbiana, was cited for stop an assured cleared distance and driving under suspension after he struck a Rav4 stopped in front of him driven by Michele L. Davidson, 57, of Columbiana, on South Avenue at 5:12 p.m. Monday. Lesher said his foot may have slipped off the pedal.


— Police were called to Smith Oil at 5:43 p.m. Sunday in regard to an agitated customer, who was gone by the time an officer arrived. The clerk said the man’s ID did not match his appearance and was asked to provide another form of ID. The man became agitated toward the clerk before leaving.

— Police were called to the Days Inn at 3:22 p.m. Sunday after staff smelled the odor of marijuana coming from a room. Police knocked on the door and were let in by a couple from Valrico, Fla., who were in town for a class reunion. The man admitted smoking marijuana the night before and he showed the officer where the other marijuana was located. His wife also admitted a vape pen on the counter was hers and the cartridge is believed to contain THC. The marijuana and vape pen were confiscated, and the couple were let off with a warning. Days Inn may file charges since they were smoking in a non-smoking room.



Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today