– A resident in the 1200 block of Cedar Ridge called at 3:28 a.m. Friday to report two suspicious vehicles outside her home. They left before police arrived and were not located. Police had been to the residence at 2:56 a.m. also when the resident reported hearing knocking and believed someone may be inside the residence. Officers did locate an open door and checked inside for any suspicious activity but found no suspects.

– Suspicious activity was reported at 2:46 a.m. Friday in the 200 block of Vine Avenue where someone was banging on the door of a vacant apartment. Officers found an unsecured door and entered to clear the apartment of possible intruders, but found no one.

– A woman reported at 11:34 p.m. Thursday that she believed a female known to her stole her book bag out of an apartment that she’s watching on Vine Avenue while the resident is out of town. Police attempted contact with the female suspect, but were unable to reach her.

– Police were called at 10:22 p.m. Thursday to the 100 block of Jennings to check the well-being of a female after a woman who dropped her off said a person who had harassed her was there. She wanted police to check on her. Officers contacted the female and learned the other person had permission to be there.

– A man in the 2500 block of Bentley Drive reported at 9:26 p.m. Thursday that his debit card was taken while he was napping. He was advised to cancel the card.

–  A disturbance was reported at 7:27 p.m. Thursday in the 600 block of North Howard Avenue where a caller reported hearing people outside arguing and believed she heard one person make threats with a firearm. The people were gone when police arrived, but officers were able to figure out who one of them was. He claimed he was the one threatened. The other person, who lives in the 600 block, refused to answer the door. Officers later spoke to the caller, who gave a conflicting story.

– An alarm was reported at 5:47 p.m. Thursday in the 900 block of Adams Avenue, but all entries to the home were secure.

– Police responded to the 100 block of West State Street for a report at 5:10 p.m. Thursday from a woman who said someone tried to force entry into her vehicle, either sometime the night before on Aetna Street or after 3 p.m. on West State Street. It appeared someone tried to force open the door.

– A barking dog was located at Rose and Fifth at 4:56 p.m. Thursday. The owners were taking care of the issue.

– Police were called at 4:17 p.m. Thursday to the 200 block of West Ninth Street for a male and female soliciting. The male was located and said he wasn’t selling anything but was reviewing electric bills to make sure people were not being overcharged due to First Energy filing bankruptcy. He was told to check with the city about a permit.

– Police responded to the 1200 block of Orchard Bend, along with the fire department, at 3:36 p.m. Thursday for a report of smoke that appeared to be coming from a residence. Officers arrived and found there was no smoke but just a fog created by snow.

– George W.S. Hays, 65, of Sebring, was cited for failure to yield after his vehicle started to pull out of a business drive in the 1700 block of East State Street and struck the passenger side of a westbound vehicle on East State Street at 2:20 p.m. Thursday. No injuries were reported. There was minor damage to both vehicles.

– Police were called at 2:20 p.m. Thursday to the 2000 block of Monroe for a person to be removed, but she was gone. Officers located her later and told her to stay away for the day.

– A theft was reported at 12:58 p.m. Thursday in the 900 block of South Avenue. An officer gathered information.

– A resident in the 800 block of Homewood Avenue reported at 12:21 p.m. Thursday that he purchased an item from a social media online market place and sent the money but never received the item. An officer made contact with the male seller who said the item was returned to his address and he couldn’t get in touch with the resident to return the money. The resident then spoke with him on the phone and they agreed to just get the money back.

– At the request of a guardian, an officer spoke with a child at the police station regarding the potential consequences of the child’s unruly behavior. The guardian said there were numerous issues at school that involved the child shoving and hitting other children and they were concerned the child could continue on the wrong path if not helped to understand the consequences. The officer spoke with the child several minutes to attempt to help the child understand the behavior was wrong.

– Joseph Ross, 20, of 178 Fair Ave., was taken into custody at his residence at 9:51 a.m. Thursday on a warrant for failure to appear on a narcotics possession charge. He was turned over to a Columbiana County Sheriff’s Office deputy.


– Police were called at 9:57 p.m. Thursday to the Etched in Stone Tavern on Front Street for an alleged physical altercation. A person outside said the people had left and the barmaid inside told police four people had been arguing about something  and she told them to leave, which they did. Everything was quiet, then the officer drove back past the bar and noticed two vehicles parked on the street, one with lights on and a person inside. The officer made contact and the person said he was waiting for someone. He was asked to move along. The other vehicle had left when the officer checked the area again 10 minutes later.


– A man from East 11th Street reported at 2:52 p.m. Friday that he placed a vehicle for sale in the local paper on Wednesday. On the same day he received a phone call from a male who claimed he was from North Carolina and wanted to buy the vehicle for a certain amount. He said he would send a cashier’s check for more than the agreed amount and he was to take the difference and give it to the person picking up the car and delivering it. He realized a scam was taking place and called police.

– Police spoke at 8:59 a.m. Thursday with a woman on West Pidgeon Road regarding a possible protection order violation, speaking with the prosecutor’s office regarding the matter.

– A man reported at 8:57 p.m. Wednesday that he believed his ex-girlfriend was calling him and he wanted it to stop. Officers made contact with her and advised if she was the one calling, she needed to stop or she could face criminal charges.

– Police stood by in the 1100 block of West Perry Street at 8:02 p.m. Wednesday in case either party in a situation had issues with each other. Once the caller gathered his belongings, officers left.


– Officers were dispatched for a disturbance between a mother and son at 4:04 a.m. Thursday.

East Palestine

– Officers accompanied EMS to a East Taggart Street residence for an unknown medical problem after being notified by a medical alert system at 3:23 p.m. Wednesday.

– An officer responded to an East Clark Street residence on the report of a cat that appeared to be trapped inside a vacant residence at 2:42 p.m. Wednesday. Police contacted the owner of the residence, who advised he would take care of the issue.

– The school resource officer was contacted by a parent in regards to a student that refused to go to school at 8:19 a.m. Wednesday.

– An officer was dispatched Meadow View apartments after a man called about someone knocking on his door for a couple hours at 3:18 a.m. Wednesday. Officers checked the area but did not find anyone.

– An officer discovered a large amount of water flowing from the garage door of a Bacon Avenue business at 2:40 a.m. Wednesday. After attempting to reach the property owner, the water department was summoned to shut off the water at the street.

– An East Main Street resident reported that she smelled smoke burning inside her apartment at 5:26 p.m. Monday. The police and fire department responded, and the fire department located a wire attached to the furnace in the basement that was charred, causing the smell throughout the apartment. The fire department turned off the furnace and the tenants were advised to contact their landlord.

– Brett Young was taken into custody for a warrant through the Austintown Police Department at 3:11 p.m. Monday.

– A Park Avenue resident reported that someone he knew wrote a check under his account without his permission at 9:27 a.m. Monday.

– A man reported that he accidentally locked his keys in his running car that his infant daughter was in at 9:22 a.m. Monday. An officer responded and was able to gain entry.

– A man reported a friend of his was threatening to harm himself and had left after taking a number of over the counter pills at 7:43 p.m. Sunday. The friend was later located and transported to the hospital.

– A Columbiana resident reported that he had been receiving annoying text messages from his cousin, who resides in East Palestine at 5:59 p.m. Nov. 2. The officer spoke with the cousin and advised him to stop.

– An East Taggart Street resident reported that her son was at a friend’s house and refused to come home at 5:08 p.m. Nov. 2. The officer spoke with the boy, and he went home with no further issues.

– A fight had been reported in the area of Pinetree Circle at 6:16 p.m. Nov. 1. The officer attempted to locate the involved parties but was unable to do so.

– The school resource officer responded to a fight at the high school at 10:44 a.m. Nov. 1.  


– A caller reported there was a fight behind a house on West Lincoln Way at 3:44 p.m. Tuesday. Police spoke with a woman, who said she and her husband had been arguing, but no threats or assaults occurred.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today