– Two suspicious vehicles were reported in a lot in the 1000 block of West State Street at 3:42 a.m. Tuesday. The occupants said they just pulled over to talk. They were sent on their way.

– Police were asked at 10:27 p.m. Monday to check the well-being of two young juveniles believed to be home alone in the 300 block of South Lincoln. The mother was home with them and affirmed they were ok.

– Todd Dean, 40, of Aetna Street, was charged with possession of drug abuse instrument, driving under suspension (failure to reinstate) and a red light violation and his passenger, Amanda Hines, 33, of 290 Idaho Avenue, was charged with possession of drug abuse instrument and falsification after a traffic stop at 8:36 p.m. Monday in the 1100 block of East State Street for moving and equipment violations. K-9 Argo gave a positive indication to the odor of narcotics. A probable cause search yielded two hypodermic syringes and other paraphernalia. One female, later identified as Hines, was placed into custody as Jane Doe until officers were able to figure out her identity. Police later learned she had multiple felony warrants for her arrest out of other counties. Both Dean and Hines were taken to jail. The vehicle was towed since none of the other occupants had valid licenses. Additional items belonging to others not present but found in the vehicle were placed in the police lost and found.

– Raymond Peters, 65, of North Ellsworth Avenue, was cited for no license after a traffic stop at 8:06 p.m. Monday on West Second near North Howard. The vehicle was left in a parking lot.

– A clerk at Smith Oil on East State Street reported finding two hypodermic syringes in an alley behind the business at 6:48 p.m. Monday. The syringes were disposed of properly by police.

– Jason Weekley, 25, of Georgetown Road, was cited for reckless operation after a traffic stop of a motorcycle at 6:19 p.m. Monday on Southeast Boulevard near Ridgewood.

– Police were called at 5:09 p.m. Monday for a report of traffic backing up near Reilly Avenue, but officers found traffic busy with no hazards.

– Police responded at 4:08 p.m. Monday to the 500 block of Columbia for a report of an intoxicated male who fell and hit his head. He was evaluated by fire department first responders and EMT and taken to the hospital.

– A 911 hangup call was reported at 3:50 p.m. Monday in the 700 block of North Ellsworth Avenue, but everything was ok.  

– Police responded at 3:01 p.m. Monday to the 1300 block of South Lincoln Avenue for persons to be removed. Police spoke to a male resident, who is handicapped, and his care worker. The resident said his mother and brother were waiting in the parking lot for his worker to leave and he believed they were going to force their way inside his apartment. He did not want them there and said they don’t live there. The mother came to the door and was told he wanted them to leave. He was told his options for protection orders or to have them criminally trespassed.

– A fire alarm was reported at 2:50 p.m. Monday at the high school. The fire department found everything ok. Maintenance was being done on the alarm.

– Officers were dispatched with fire department first responders at 11:27 a.m. Monday to the 900 block of South Union Avenue for a medical involving a 2-year-old girl. The report said the girl was playing and climbed onto an end table with a glass top and the glass broke. The child suffered several cuts on her legs and was taken by EMT to Akron Children’s Hospital in Boardman.

– Possible animal cruelty was reported in the 300 block of West Pershing Street at 11:19 a.m. Monday. A woman said a teen sat on a dog and hit it. Officers spoke to the juvenile  who said the dog got loose so the teen had to grab it to keep it from running away. The dog showed no signs of injury.

– A dispute was reported outside a residence at 9:10 a.m. Monday in the 100 block of Fair Avenue where a male and female were having problems with their daughter not wanting to get up to go to her court appearance. The female advised the daughter was allegedly sick and she was out of jail on bond. They were told to contact their daughter’s attorney or if she decided not to go, a bench warrant for failure to appear could be issued.

– A suspicious truck was reported at 6:58 a.m. Monday in the 900 block of Fair Avenue where no vehicles were supposed to be parked. A man told police he was working on the house, with no problems found.

– A possible burglarized residence was reported at 6:55 a.m. Monday in the 1100 block of Cleveland. Police responded and found it apparent that debris in the front yard was from a renovation rather than a burglary.


– A suspicious person was reported walking in the road attempting to ask for a ride at 7:41 p.m. Monday at Depot Road and Snyder Road. No one was found.

– A person at 6:59 p.m. Monday in the 400 block of Georgetown Road reported just moving to the area and noticing someone going in and out of a foreclosed house. He said no one was currently there and was told to call back when someone is there.

– A caller at 12:37 p.m. Monday reported a possible child being neglected in the area of Salem Acres on Prospect Street and wanted the residence checked. The caller was told to contact Children Services to file a formal complaint.

– A man in the 1200 block of North Lincoln Avenue reported at 12:02 p.m. Monday that he was possibly being threatened by his mother-in-law and several males who showed up at his apartment and refused to leave. He was told to call if they return and not wait until they’re gone.

– Police were asked at 7:37 a.m. Monday to check on smoke in the area of Jones Drive. The caller pointed out the house in question and police made contact. The homeowner said she was doing laundry and the smoke was coming from the dryer vent.


– B&B Auto Service, Route 14, reported that sometime around Aug. 29 someone removed the entire front end of a 2006 Audi A4 that was at the shop for repairs. Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Chief Dan Valentine, 427-0808.


– A patrolling officer was flagged down in the 300 block of Waddell Street at 7:06 p.m. Sept. 9 by a resident who said a person visiting her neighbor was acting strange in the backyard and was possibly on drugs. The officer spoke with the person who said he was just singing while looking for something he dropped in the yard. He did not appear to be under the influence of drugs and he said he would quiet down for the evening.

– An officer responded to a 300 block Somer Street home at 7:17 p.m. Sept. 9 where a resident reported her neighbor had stepped onto her property and provided video footage of the incident. The video showed the neighbor placing signs on his garage and while doing so his foot stepped onto their grass. The officer advised the resident to email the footage to be forwarded to the prosecutor’s office. The neighbor was advised of the complaint and he said he was stepped on the resident’s property while putting signs on his garage and would not step on their property again.

– An officer responded to a 300 block Somer Street home at 6:38 a.m. Friday where the resident reported a neighbor was running an air compressor outside the permitted time. The neighbor was advised of the permitted hours in the noise ordinance and told the next time he would be cited.

– An officer responded to a 200 block Walnut Street home at 6:51 p.m. Monday in reference to a medical emergency. The homeowner told the officer she had fallen and needed help up. Leetonia EMS arrived and help her up. She refused to be transported to the hospital.

– An officer responded with EMS to a 400 block of Washington Street at 7:27 p.m. Monday in reference to a lift assist in which the homeowner had fallen and couldn’t get back up. Her son helped her up before EMS arrived, but medical personnel checked her for injuries. She refused to be transported to the hospital.

– An officer responded to the 300 block of Somer Street at 7:56 p.m. Monday where a resident reported a neighbor was running an air compressor while not at home. The resident was advised it was permitted before 11 p.m. The officer returned at 8:30 p.m. and spoke with the neighbor who was advised to turn the air compressor off before 11 p.m.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today