SALEM- Firefighters were called to Ventra Salem for a small fire in the loading dock early Friday morning.
The Salem Fire Department along with the city police department responded to a fire alarm at the business at 1800 Pennsylvania Ave. at 3:09 a.m.
Upon arrival smoke reportedly could be seen emanating from the corner of the loading dock area as well as from a box truck outside the facility. The sprinkler system had extinguished the flames prior to the fire department's arrival.
Personnel reportedly stated that they had been welding equipment but left the area approximately one hour prior to fire alarm. The cause of the fire is believed to be the foam rubber stops that were being repaired.
The plant was evacuated prior to the department's arrival. Firefighters ventilated the area and checked the surrounding structure to ensure nothing was smoldering before allowing the workers to return.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire which caused approximately $4,000 damage in property and contents.
The department cleared at 4:06 a.m.
Kevin Howell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org