LISBON - A Salem man accused of picking up a 9-year-old boy on his way home from school last spring will wait longer before his day in Columbiana County Municipal Court.
Changing his attorney just last month, a hearing for Steven Lutz in Judge Carol Robb's courtroom on Tuesday was continued. Charged with child enticement, a first-degree misdemeanor, Lutz has been given an offer for a plea deal. Assistant County Prosecutor Virginia Barborak said the offer remains open only until Oct. 25.
His new attorney, Jeffrey Jakmides, said he could be ready to take the case to trial on short notice, despite just starting to review the evidence within the past month.
Lutz, 41, East Third Street, Salem, is also charged with telephone harassment after allegedly continuing to send text messages to a woman who had told him she wanted no further contact with him after learning he had been arrested on the child-related charge.
According to Salem police, Lutz had been accused of a similar child-related offense involving a boy with mental and physical handicaps, but no charges were filed. That incident allegedly happened six months prior to the child enticement incident.
The case has been set for a status conference on Nov. 19, although Jakmides said if his client decides to take the deal he would notify the court prior to then so a new hearing can be set. The case is scheduled for jury trial on Dec. 19.
Also in Municipal Court on Tuesday, a jury trial next week for Michael Bair was rescheduled. Bair, 31, Poland, is charged with vehicular homicide in the March death of David Mayfield, 35, Annsley Road, East Liverpool. Mayfield was killed on March 13 by a dump truck overturning onto his Dodge Durango off the side of state Route 7. Bair, the driver of the dump truck, was hauling gravel for Sebastian Trucking.
Judge Mark Frost requested the case be scheduled for an additionally status conference on Oct. 18 instead of the jury trial, which was scheduled for Oct. 17.