Man dies of suspected overdose at Holiday Inn
SALEM — City police and the Mahoning County Coroner’s Office are investigating a suspected fatal drug overdose after a Salem man was found unresponsive in his room at the Holiday Inn Express Thursday afternoon.
Salem Police Detective Dave Talbert identified the deceased as Billy J. Flaata, 35, whose last known address was Springdale Avenue.
According to Talbert, Flaata checked into the hotel Wednesday by himself and was due to check out by 11 a.m. Thursday. He had not checked out as scheduled and when housekeeping knocked on the door and entered the room, he was found unresponsive.
Police were contacted at 2:01 p.m, and responded along with Salem Fire Department first responders and EMT Ambulance, finding the male was deceased.
Talbert noted the hotel is located inside the city but in Mahoning County, making it a case for the Mahoning County Coroner’s Office.
Known drug substances and drug paraphernalia were recovered from the room as evidence.
Talbert wouldn’t comment further.
When asked how many drug overdose deaths the city had recorded this year, he couldn’t put a number on it, but has investigated at least a handful or more.
There have been many instances of drug overdoses in the city this year with people revived after receiving Narcan, the overdose reversal drug, Narcan is carried by local ambulance companies and the city fire department and has been used by both.