×

SPORTS BRIEFING

NASATRI RACES AT BIG TEN MEET

LINCOLN, Nebraska — Former area standouts Kaleb Nastari and Ryan Henry competed in the Big Ten Outdoor Track and Field Championships over the weekend.

Penn State sophomore Nastari, who set the state record while at United High School, was 17th in the 800-meter preliminaries (1:47.80) on Saturday. The ninth and final qualifying time was 1:46.69.

Penn State graduate student Allon Clay won for the second straight season in 1:46.58 in Sunday’s final.

Penn State senior Hayley Kitching won the women’s 800 meters for the second time in three seasons (2:01.77).

Penn State junior Ryan Henry, who was an All-Ohioan at Western Reserve and McDonald high schools, was 13 in the men’s shot put Sunday. He had two throws of 59-feet-0 3/4 in his three attempts in the preliminaries.

SORSBY WANTS ELIGIBILITY BACK

Texas Tech quarterback Brendan Sorsby, who entered residential treatment for a gambling addiction three weeks ago, filed a lawsuit Monday seeking to have the NCAA restore his eligibility.

Sorsby, a former Cincinnati player, had landed a multimillion-dollar deal to return to his home state for his final college season, but his eligibility was jeopardized when he acknowledged wagering on sports.

His lawsuit, filed in Lubbock County, Texas, by local attorney Dustin Burrows, asks for an injunction that would allow him to practice and play for the Red Raiders. The filing said legal action was taken because of the “NCAA’s wholesale abandonment of its obligations and duties to promote the well-being” of Sorsby.

His gambling addiction, the lawsuit said, is a “clinically diagnosed” disorder recognized by the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

“The NCAA has weaponized his condition to shore up a facade of competitive integrity, while simultaneously profiting from the very gambling ecosystem it polices,” the lawsuit said, adding that Sorsby had taken accountability for violating NCAA rules and offered to accept “reasonable discipline” but not a full loss of eligibility.

CUBS PLAYER EXPRESSES REGRET

CHICAGO (AP) — Cubs center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong said Monday that he regrets the words he used during a heated exchange with a fan.

The incident occurred in the fifth inning of Sunday’s 9-8 loss to the crosstown White Sox at Rate Field. Crow-Armstrong was getting up from the warning track after making an unsuccessful attempt to haul in Miguel Vargas’ two-run double when he was heckled by a woman standing beyond the fence.

The 24-year-old Crow-Armstrong responded with a vulgar message punctuated by an expletive.

“I think I just regret my choice of words the most and who that affects in my life, directly and indirectly,” Crow-Armstrong said. “I don’t think that any of the women in my life would ever think that I would use those kind of words regularly, especially referring to them.

“So I’m just bummed out about the word choice, and that a bunch of little kids go and probably find their way to social media and see that as well.”

CROSBY PLAYS HARD FOR CANADA

FRIBOURG, Switzerland (AP) — Canada scored five goals in the final period against Denmark and Sidney Crosby assisted on four of them in a 5-1 victory at the ice hockey world championship on Monday.

The Group B game in Fribourg was a rematch of last year’s quarterfinal when Denmark stunned star-studded Canada 2-1 and ended its quest for a 29th title.

This time Canada left it till late to translate its dominance into goals.

The Canadians needed 28 shots to break the deadlock despite Denmark goalie Nicolaj Henriksen playing his maiden game at the worlds.

Porter Martone scored the opener 28 seconds into the third period on a cross-goal pass by Crosby to put the favorite ahead.

Gabriel Vilardi doubled the advantage 3:02 into the frame and Denton Mateychuk buried a rebound 31 seconds later to make it 3-0 after Crosby set him up.

Ryan O’Reilly and Parker Wotherspoon finished the scoring with a goal each after Crosby found them unmarked in front of the net.

PGA WINNER TAKES A BREAK

McKINNEY, Texas (AP) — Aaron Rai has withdrawn from this week’s CJ Cup Byron Nelson tournament, less than 24 hours after winning his first major at the PGA Championship.

He’ll be replaced in the field by S.Y. Noh.

Rai made six birdies over the last 10 holes at Aronimink in Sunday’s breakthrough performance, taking the lead for good on the 13th and pouring it on with a 70-foot birdie putt across the 17th green. He closed with a 5-under 65 for a three-shot victory to become the first English-born player in more than a century to capture the PGA Championship.

The 31-year-old Rai finished with a back nine that ranks among the best in major championship history. The previous two players to go 6 under or better over the final 10 holes of a major were Cameron Smith at St. Andrews when he won the 2022 British Open, and Jack Nicklaus when he won the 1986 Masters.

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today