Breaking News
Train Derails in East Palestine

EP Council members offer thanks to all involved

4 min read

By STEPHANIE ELVERD

EAST PALESTINE - As East Palestine continues to deal with the ramifications of the Norfolk Southern train derailment, village council met Monday at the East Palestine Municipal Building, dedicating much of the meeting to thanking community officials, residents and first responders for the support and unity they have shown through the ongoing crisis.

"We want to say thank you to our mayor Trent (Conaway) for being the face of this (crisis) and receiving the good and the bad. Thank you to our police and fire departments and thank you to our street and water departments," councilwoman Dr. Jessica Rocco told the standing-room-only crowd. " And thank you to all of our residents. We need all of you and we need you to help us move forward. All of us want to do what's best for all of you. That's what we are here for."

Council unanimously approved three items of legislation under suspension of rules and under a declaration of emergency - a demolition of a property located on Bacon Avenue, the creation of a fire department administrative assistant/EMS coordinator position with wages and an ordinance authorizing members of council to assist the village manager/finance director on volunteer basis.

Conaway gave an update on the derailment cleanup status. He said "the cleanup is still ongoing and will be going on for some time" and reported that 6 million gallons of contaminated water has been hauled off the derailment site. Conaway also urged residents, whether or not they are experiencing symptoms possibly related to the derailment and controlled burn, to visit the Health Assessment Clinic located at 20 W. Martin St. Conaway also announced that Council is working on a 90-day grant with the mental health board to obtain more mental health services in the village as part of the derailment response. Conway said he hopes the grant will "morph into a year-long to get much needed funding here."

Council heard from water superintendent Scott Wolf who reported that weekly water testing will continue with the EPA and Norfolk Southern until further notice and voiced confidence in the safety of the municipal water supply.

"There has been no detection in the municipal water. The drinking water is completely safe," he said. "Myself and four other of the employees live in town. I know members of the council live in town. I have two little kids. I can't reiterate enough that I am using the water just like I always have."

Council added the Ohio Department of Natural Resources reported that fish have been seen swimming where Bull Creek feeds into North Fork and Little Beaver - an area where dead fish had been reported in the first week of the derailment.

In other derailment-related matters, council approved to not assess late penalties to outstanding fees for water and sewer bills in the month of March. Council gave notice that water shutoffs will resume in April. Council also announced that all park playgrounds will be closed until further notice for the cleaning, removing and replacing of mulch. Council also plans to have the village tennis courts cleaned.

The fire department reported that all of the equipment that was used or damaged during the initial derailment response has been replaced or ordered.

East Palestine Chief of Police James Brown reported that police shifts are back to normal, but that the department is still receiving requests for additional security. He also took the time to thank the residents of East Palestine.

"I just want to say that we appreciate the support we have received from council and the community," he said. "And we want to thank our residents for all their moral support, kind words and cards. It's much appreciated through this time that has been difficult for everyone."

Starting at /week.